DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Jul 2018, 02:32

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 10 May 2016, 16:39 
Project Author

I started the music server experience with Pi2B and Volumio mserver software. To this I finaly added a high performance DAC cct. brd. which allows me to play DSD64 files. But I had shocking connectivity problems to the WebUI under Volumio. I continually lost connection to the Pi server under Volumio. Often I had to power down the Pi and restart it just to get a connection.

I am now using a Pi3B with Rune Audio software and the same high performance DAC. I have a perfect connection to the Pi3B at all times. Even after closing down my smart phone or IPad and opening sometime later, with a 5 second refresh, it is all back and upto the minute. To find where the issue was I loaded Rune onto my original Pi2B setup, with WiFi dongle (on the Pi3B WiFi is onboard), and found a equally, perfectly stable, connection. It appears Volumio is not as stable as Rune. What's more Rune is so much better set out and easier to use plus has a number of more features.

The moral of the story is; don't bother with Volumio. Also you don't need a Pi3B a Pi2 has more than a enough processing power for even DSD files. But with Pi3 and 2 being the same price, why would you get a 2 over a 3?

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2016, 21:37 
Editor

Mark - I'm going to give Rune Audio a try on the weekend.

Where are you playing your music back from?

Cheers

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2016, 02:54 
Project Author

I use a 2Tb USB HD, USBs and stream from wifi internet.

I operate Rune from phone or iPad through the browser no app required. Absolutely the best thing I have ever done.

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 11:36 
Editor

I've had the RuneAudio music player going on a Raspberry Pi 3 for 2 days now and it is doing great. The user interface (UI) is via any browser on the same local network, just like Volumio. The look, controls and playback are also very similar between the two players. Rune has more options and settings that one can choose from. Setup and controls are rather intuitive and simple.

Specifically for me, I am using a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus (USB 2.0) and setup was essentially plug, select from drop down and play.

My network connection is via wifi and I have have no issues with playback thus far. Music is stored on a NAS. The NAS share automounts at boot.

The default software volume worked, but there is a note that software volume provides the worst playback. Like with Volumio, I could not get Hardware volume control to work, so I must assume this is a limitation of the external DAC which I guess is starting to show it's age. What I really liked about the RuneAudio software is that next to just about every option there is a brief explanation often citing pros and cons. With regards to volume control the software does note that using NO volume control on the player is best for sound quality. So I have turned off volume control through the player and use the physical volume on the DAC.

Cheers

PostPosted: 29 Oct 2016, 17:45 
Project Author

Way to go Gio (that rhymes). But as I have found when mixing hardware with a Pi sometimes you have to use Rune over Volumio or Volum over Rune.

With most software volumes if you are working it in the top 10% of the volume, or put another way, have the volume at 90% or more, Sound quality is probably not affected. It's when you bring the volume back to say 50% that bit stripping occurs.

I use a double plugin mains outlet with two USB charges to power my Pi3 in my main system. It has a 2.1A limit, more than enough. Possible improvement would be to use a fully linear PS with an ultra low noise regulator. I have the regs ($50 each) now I need to construct the PS.

But using the above power adapter presents no noise I can hear.

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2016, 21:28 
Editor

Good info regarding regarding the volume control. Regarding power supply for the Raspberry Pi, the power conditioner I use has a front panel USB output that is from a regulated liner supply and that seems to work very well.

Cheers

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2018, 20:48 
Editor

Today I finally got around to running a CAT6 cable through the floor and to the Pi3/RuneAudio music player. Over the wifi I would sometimes get wifi congestion if I was surfing at the same time (probably HD youtube cat videos) that would cause an annoying audio blip. Problem solved now. The rune software has been stable and flawless for me for over 1.5 years now with a Raspberry Pi 3B. This summer I hope to swap out the Cambridge Audio DAC and the Ashly variable crossover and replace them with a miniDSP 2X4 HD continuing to use RuneAudio as a digital media player.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 03:50 
Project Author

Gio. Move to MoOde, even 3.XX it is not only far better but sound better. I'm using 4.1 on a Pi3+ which have a faster processor etc.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2018, 19:10 
Editor

Hey Mark - Thanks for the heads up on the moOde software. I will check it out in the next couple of weeks and start a new thread.