DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 21:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TDA1541A vs new DACs
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 11:42 

I'm contemplating buying a different CD player. I'm curious if DACs have evolved enough to step away from the trusted TDA1541A, or is the old DAC still king? In other words: should I hunt down a good old second hand player with TDA1541 dac or go for something more modern?

Post subject: Re: TDA1541A vs new DACs
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2017, 17:09 

Best integrated DAC's I've heard are in the Yamaha Natural Sound (single bit DAC) and the 24/192 ones in the Toshiba DVD players when used as a CD player. Dunno their part numbers.

Total bonus is you can usually find either for <$15 at Value Village :D

If you want a really good sounding digital system, get a seperate transport/DAC. Of the gear we sell at my store, those sound the best of the new stuff.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 12:30 

Thanks for the reply Greg! I'll keep an eye on the Yamaha players. I'm a bit torn between getting an older player or getting a new one. An older cd player is easier to tweak and modify, and I could modify it for a tube output stage. On the other hand I do not want to risk getting an older player because you don't know how much life is left in the laser. I guess the best option is to get a separate transport and DAC; I could build my own DAC with tube output section and have a new CD transport / laser. What transport would you suggest? I'm new to this separate transport thing.. 8-) Does it really matter sound-wise what you use as a transport?

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 14:57 

Hi,

If you compare CD transports to the turntable, the transport is like the platter; it has one jobn- spin the media. All laser heads are +/- the same in design/function with by far the most out there made by Philips in vintage land. The DAC is like the cartridge/tonearm - the important thing.

DAC's more or less live forever, unless there was die contamination. Where you want the tube to be, at the analog outputs (even a tube filter if you want) will again be more or less the same, unless you have some nausiatingly integrated "everything on a chip" that has PIN diode input on one side and line outs on the other with no DIY-ability.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design