DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2020, 01:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2011, 09:23 
Editor

Hi Joe, check out the photo in this post: viewtopic.php?p=8163#p8163
Looks like the pipe was the right size that it could be mounted with the screws. Another option could be gluing.

Are you using the same drivers?
Cheers

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2011, 16:53 

I have revisited this idea over the Christmas holiday. The 1 1/2" pvc elbows provide about 18" length of vent. This design tunes the vent to about 100hz. I used about 0.750 liters of box volume (3" 45 degree street elbow + 3" to 1.5" adapter, and molded in about 27" of 3/4" plastic conduit inside of the pvc elbows, curling the remaining 9" around the adapter ID. The resultant tuning of the vent is now 40 hz. This fills in the bottom end of the HiVi full range B3N perfectly! These sound great! Thanks to ikymagoo for the original idea...Comparison auditions of the 40 hz tuning to the 100 hz tuning to a pair of Kloss Ensemble III have me amazed at the elegance of the design and assembly. My son wants a pair for his dorm room....I guess I have more work to do. Cheers.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2011, 13:06 
Editor

Hi rbunch4468 , welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing your results. Any chance you could post some photos?

Cheers

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2011, 09:02 

Here are a few construction pix...My use of the smaller diameter vent was driven by modeling in Win ISD. Here is the projected output of the 100 hz tuning and the 40 hz tuning with the B3N full range speaker. I was able to build the speakers and add the Lepai amp for well under $100. I wanted a docking station for iPods and my iPad to use in my workshop.

Voila!

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2012, 20:49 

I think these look frikkin AMAZING! seriously, they are one of a kind and i would PROUDLY show them off. honest. i'd buy them, and at a premium price.

i do, however, feel that with a bit of experimentation, you could get the bass to go a bit lower. if you could make them go down to 30hz at a loud enough db, and put in a decent amount of wattage, these things wouyld sell like hotcakes :D

it reminds me of how bose focused towards the enclosure to get the most out of a small space. all of you seem to know what your doing here, you lost me! LOL

i really do love the design though, keep up the good work :D

PostPosted: 17 Mar 2012, 18:14 

You guys are just TOO creative !

here's a much more basic pair i made about twelve years ago, left it at work where the guys still use it.

it was ~ten dollar 6" woofer in 8" pipe tee that was almost right diamter.and red rubber gasket made perfect fit. We measured compliance of speaker and added 7" to top to increase enclosure volume for better match..

This TDA2009 10W/channel amp made a fine office system for streaming audio.
It was the KitsR'Us KT88.

People came from all over the plant to marvel at such sound from an amp in a sardine can..
I listened to opera, the night shift preferred internet reggae stations.

old jim

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012, 10:03 

How does one go about gluing socks to the inside of PVC?