DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 09:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 12:25 

speakers made from pvc pipes, housing a 3 inch HiVi B3N, and a Hi-Vi T20-8 tweeter, rear firing bass port. 2-way crossover inside with binding post on back, wood platform with spikes. frequency range 65-20,000. nice sound stage and good low end response. would love to know what you think of the design.

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 16:42 
Editor

Hi ikymagoo. Welcome to the forum.

The pvc pipe speakers look great. Can you post a schematic of the cross-over? Did you damp the enclosure and are you getting any ringing?

For those interested in PVC pipe speakers, also take a look at some of the builds by Rob Sampson: http://www.t-linespeakers.org/projects/sampson/

Cheers

PostPosted: 30 May 2009, 17:19 

thanks,
i bought the crossover from parts-express so i don't have a schematic, the low pass output rolls off at 6 dB per octave and the high pass section has a 12 dB slope. Yes i did dampen the inside, i have some cotton socks glued to the inside of the PVC, no ringing, but i do get some mid-bass humming from the pipes but it's not to big of an issue.
i had fun building them, and i think they sound great. and look pretty cool :)

PostPosted: 31 May 2009, 10:07 
Editor

Do you recall what the crossover frequency is?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 00:28 

Hey ikymagoo

I'm planning my first ever speaker build and I'm basically going to rip this idea off (apologies) but using a small, full range driver!

How do you ensure a snug fit between driver and PVC? I assume you get PVC with a diameter slightly larger than that of the driver? Where do you go to find PVC? Any other suggestions? Thanks man, and come visit this thread for updates.

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2009, 18:01 

Hi,
Thanks for liking so much you want to make your own, the inside of the PVC pipe was a little bit bigger than the speaker so i used some foam speaker tape on the inside of the pipe, it worked pretty good. i got the PVC at Home Depot, prices aren't too bad, i was just going to a full range with a bass port off to the side but i added the tee instead of an elbow and added a tweeter, with the bass port at the back of it. the hardest part was the painting. it was a fun project. here is a video of them
Attachment:
PVC-Pipe-DIY-Speakers.jpg

Hope you have fun making yours and let me know if you have any questions
Eric

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2009, 17:19 
Project Author

I like them! Nice job and it looks like it was fun. Bet your friends think you are a geek, but kinda cool to :)
Ri

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 02:40 

Cool project and nice speakers.

I have two pairs of HiVi 2" speakers and planned to do something like this (see below).
Attachment:
shoe-speaker.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2009, 05:23 

Sexxxayyy 8-)

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2009, 20:27 
Editor

I think that a pair of long legs would look better in those shoes! ;)