DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 28 May 2018, 03:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 13:47 
Editor

Malong335 wrote:
I meant the Fostex FE126En that madisound has listed for about $45. I'm definitely confused after looking at possible substitutes for the Killatones.

The FE126EN will probably not be suitable as the low Qts will mean not much bass in a sealed enclosure. If you want to stick with the Fostex brand FX120 would be the best choice - double the price of the FE127E, but they really do sound great. Another Fostex driver you can consider in a sealed is the Fostex FE103En as it will work better than a FE126EN.

If you are not fixed on Fostex you can look at other FR brands. Tang Band is making some nice units. For a sealed monitor enclosure you want the Qts to be in the 0.6 to 0.7 range. You would have to experiment a little with the filter.

Eventually I will get to archiving the FE127E designs on the site. Really a shame. The FE127E was a good, inexpensive and easy driver to work with and one to get DIY'ers hooked on fullrange sound.

Cheers

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 14:10 

Has anyone bought from Meniscus? Looks like they may have some FX120 for $113ea.

http://meniscusaudio.com/fostex-fx120-p-1015.html

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 13:16 
Editor

I have not used them but they have been around for a while. For peace of mind I like to email and call new sellers.

Let us know how you make out.

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 13:41 

I got an email back from Madisound that said they are just out of stock and they should have more in 2-3 weeks. Not sure who we will buy from, but a friend that has a well equipped woodshop and I will probably buy 4 of them and make a couple pairs of Killatones.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2016, 15:15 

Hi Gio, fellow Winnipeg'r here, interested in this project, from a studio mixing perspective. What Tang Band full range would you suggest? I assume there isn't a local Winnipeg solution?
Got to keep in Canadian as the exchange , shipping and brokerage from the US is a killer. This publication really got me interested in an Auratone Clone:

http://www.mixedbymarcmozart.com/buy-mi ... tutorials/

"I keep getting e-mails asking about specific models that fit the bill. But really, go on eBay, buy a few and test them. I use a Sony ZS-D7 that cost me €40 and does a great job, but there are many other types and brands.
Some of you might have heard about the Sony ZS-M1 that Chris Lord-Alge uses - these are getting super expensive now and are almost impossible to find - I think Chris bought them all.
Sony ZS-M1 (impossible to find, CLA bough them
"Tivoli Audio"
(entire range - expensive hipster kitchen radios)
http://tivoliaudio.de
"clones of Tivoli Audio aka „kitchen radio“
(Aldi, Lidl discounters sell these on a regular base)
The old masters of engineering used the original "Auratone“-speakers for similar purposes, and there are a bunch of Aurotone-clones around
(active/passive, and even some DIY-plans floating around the web). Don’t get too nerdy on this though…
http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2012 ... ne-review/ "

I'm interested what you'd suggest from say Solen's site? Tang Band? Looking for a frugal solution.
Thanks for your time!
regards,

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2016, 21:53 
Editor

Hi Bob, welcome.

You, might find that Madisound and Parts Express are still lower cost than Solen despite them being out of country. Regardless, they are all good and I have ordered from all three.

From the Fostex line, my favorite is the Fostex FX120. For budget choices I like the FF105WK and FF125WK.

From TangBang , right now I am playing with the W3-1878. I haven't tried the 4 and 5 inch versions. Some of the Dayton Audio fullrange units also look interesting.

Shoot for a driver with a Qts approaching 0.7.

Cheers