DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 01:19

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 08:46 

I thought this might hold some interest for those working with the very popular Fostex FE127E fullrange driver.
http://www.johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=297
Attachment:
Killatone - Fostex FE127E Fullrange Monitor.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 22 Apr 2009, 12:06 
Editor

Thanks for sharing that link. I remember looking at that a while back. The FE127E is a good inexpensive driver and it does work very well in a sealed enclosure + a sub to fill in the bottom end. I built a Sealed Bipole with the Fostex FE127E and it worked out really well. The bipole enclosure eliminates the need for a baffle step compensation circuit.
Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 09:05 

Can these be used professionally? I mean do they have any use as near field studio monitors. Anybody tried this?
------------
Bob at: Audio Player Software Informer

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 09:35 

G'day Bob, I think they are designed to be used as studio monitors. Like the old Auratone. For checking mixes.The forum where I found them is part of a larger site that deals with the physical and theoretical aspects of building recording studios. There's a lot of info and talk on the rest of the site. If recording studios are you interest there's plenty there for you.....regards...Pete

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 20:50 
Editor

Hi Bob, The Fostex FX120 Fullrange Speaker Driver would also be a very good choice for a single driver monitor. It will work in the Killatone enclosure, but you may need to adjust the Zobel / Impedance Equalization Circuit.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2009, 21:46 

G'day Gio, What mods to the filter would you make and how would you arrive at those decisions?
I've always thought that your FX120 BR would make a perfect set of studio monitors, no mods needed. Rabbitz FE127E BR is also a serious contender for studio monitors. There's a lot of blablabla spoken about "studio monitors" and in the past 10 years or so an explosion of manufacturers selling a bewildering array of products called "studio monitors". The market is big, as every musician now has a recording studio in a room of their home aided by the proliferation of cheap recording software. The essential requirement for monitoring mixes in a studio environment is accuracy, particularly in the mids and lower mids. The FE 127 in a Fonken could be added to the list.. I've not heard any of the boxes but going by the comments and published data, all three pass the basic test with flying colours. For someone putting together a home studio, on a limited budget, building your own monitors is a big saving. After my limited experiences with my Fostex builds, FE 83, FE 103 and FE 126 the "big" names in "monitoring" speakers might just be asking more than they are worth and their offerings aren't giving anything you can't get with a DIY design of the single driver type.

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2009, 12:19 
Editor

Hi pete, after looking at the Killatone page again, they recommend the FX120 as a drop-in upgrade to the FE127E. If you want to play with the filter, you could use the Impedance Equalization Circuit Calulator and the Baffle Step Compensation Circuit Calculator to come up with your own. All the ported designs you mentioned are also good but they are bigger if space is an issue.
Cheers

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 10:37 

Has anyone tried using the newer FE127EN driver for a sealed enclosure like the Killatones? It seems like I've come late to the party and the drivers that had been used (FE127E , FX120, etc.) are no longer available. My purpose would be for another set of near-field monitor speakers to check mixes on.

Thanks for your help!
Mark

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 20:18 
Editor

Hi Mark,

The Fostex FE127E is discontinued and there is no Fostex FE127En. You might be thinking of the Planet 10 FE127EN which is the FE127E that has been modified/tweaked following the "Enable" process.

From the Fostex website I don't get the impression that the FX120 has been discontinued, but madisound is out of stock and Solen does not have a listing for it anymore? :confused:

Cheers and welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 12:17 

Thanks Gio for the clarifications. I believe I meant the Fostex FE126En that madisound has listed for about $45. I'm definitely confused after looking at possible substitutes for the Killatones. :D

I have not found a place that shows the FX120 available. It would be nice to find some given the reviews I've read.