DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Nov 2019, 14:12

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Blown Speakers?
PostPosted: 18 Jan 2019, 23:49 

Hi Everybody,

Just thought I'd ask a question. How do you actually verify that you have blown a speaker? I think I may have blown the tweeter in a set of Power Dynamics PD-SM6 200W powered speakers (2 x 100W max, 2 x 50W music power).
However, no idea how I've done it, they've only been played through a Traktor S4 (DJ deck) and never more than about 1/2 main vol, (never in the red). Also, controls on back of speakers, never more than half volume. All I know that at certain frequencies and it doesn't matter whether I'm using Traktor/Abelton Live/iTunes (computer programs), once I get the computer system volume to about 50%, they break up as the mids to low-highs start to come in. Although, I am not sure, whether it is the larger diameter 6" woofer or actually the 1" tweeter. They are being used in conjunction with an AVE Fusion 10S sub-woofer. Also doesn't matter whether I play it through the soundcard on the Traktor S4 or whether I use a Behringer uca222 soundcard. Sorry if off topic, but any idea, what I can try before potentially replacing the speakers, or verify that it's something else.

Cheers,
nodz

Post subject: Re: Blown Speakers?
PostPosted: 22 Jan 2019, 20:21 

When your testing make sure you've turned eq off so no clipping is occuring at your music source.
http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

You can then try tone generator and do a sweep, if theres no sound in low or highs then you can nail out if tweeter or woofer is damaged.
if woofer is damaged you should hear some weried sounds kind of like scratcing at 10-20hz with plently of speaker movements at meduium high powers. This means the voice coil is touching the sides of the spekaer magnetic and the woofer is gone.
Sometimes woofers can still sound perfectly normal even when voice coil is touchign the magnets, this trick helps identfy plorbems so you can replace for best sound.

It could also be your speakers clipping since 6.5inch is not rated for much power

Post subject: Re: Blown Speakers?
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2019, 09:52 

almost need an O'scope to see if the distortion is being created by your source device driving the input of your powered speakers to hard.

fast transients from a clipped source can take out a tweeter in the blink of an eye even though metering would have you thinking that the average power is well below limits.