DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 14:05

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Jul 2018, 07:57 

Been fiddling with the boxes to my full range SWR069 from Sonido. Got the boxes made and all corners are mitred - will leave no visable seams.

Some data:

They aren't small, but I push the stearing wheel hard into my chest, moving the chair forward I can bring them in my car (Peugeot 206).

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 22:57 
Editor

Nice work Magnus. The oval driver is interesting. The driver build quality looks excellent as does the frequency response. Is the driver mean to be oriented in a particular direction or can it be rotated 90 degrees?

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 07:50 

All pics shows a driver "standing up", so that's how it is supposed to be mounted (for best distribution of sound, I guess).

After some paintwork, where the sockets are still in a need for some work with a brush, I have carried the boxes, three stairs up to my flat, and have everything installed and will try to just loosen them up with some good music (6 CDs from Chris Rea's production right now).
What strike me is that the tonal signature is very much like my horns with drivers (5") from the same make, but they sound very good with a perfect balance between all registers. I noticed that the 6,5" and 8" drivers used in my friends' horns seemed to lack a bit of mid and high ranges, but these sounds perfect.
Right now I need a second opinion.

Attachment:
swr069-08.jpg

Attachment:
swr069-09.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 07:54 

Note: one of the boxes apprears to be leaning. That's beacuse I stared to screw small wooden "feet" under the base, but never managed so one happened to be left and I didn't want to lie down the box on the rough concrete on the pier to get the foot away.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 13 Aug 2018, 20:09 
Project Author

Nice Build Magnus, I like my 205 L Altecs with 15 inch subs . It is a good thing my turntables don't have any rumble....the walls would cave in. :D BTW, my carpentry is best suited to make orange crates.

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2018, 07:09 

I have been playing a lot of music like my collection of Chris Rea, Red Sand and now Supertramp.
I am very impressed and begin to think that my speakers are a bit neutral and unforgiving. It is like some recordings sound better that others and may my speakers just simply pull down the panties of my CDs. Badly mastered records sound bad and better mastered sound perfect.

Now I must come with an idea what to do with my old horn speakers. :confused:

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 16:14 

Magnus, thank you for showing us your new speakers. The drivers are very interesting. The only full range I have built were the original Fostex 206 which I eventually tired of after hearing some resonance like distortions on vocals. I looked at their web site but don’t see any pricing or how to purchase. How di you acquire the drivers?

Thank You
Brian