DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Apr 2014, 23:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 20:49 

I'm back. Been down in the shop for ever so long. The speaker project required some serious tooling upgrades.

I canceled the full range Fostex 126E enclosures for now and bought the Recession Buster kit from Madisound.
Attachment:
recession-buster.pdf
Attachment:
rb-kit main.jpg
Attachment:
rb-kit hookup.jpg

I decided on a 3/4 plywood cabinet with 3/4 MDF motorboard and backboard. After cleaning all the junk out of the basement, rebuilding the tablesaw, buying a new router, outfitting with quality bits, buying clamps, new saw blades, a quick-clamp cutting guide, a circle cutting jig, building a workbench suitable to the project, building a stereo cabinet so I could listen to music in the shop while building the speakers, a few squares, a couple more clamps, more lights, a new book on routers, building a few jigs to keep everything sort of square, practicing on a couple of boxes out of scrap and a pair of cheap Pioneer drivers, and signing up for therapy, I got started a few days ago.

Those flared ports sure are big.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 21:04 

The motorboards are now painted flat black. I raided the wife's quilting supplies for batten or whatever they call it to use for damping material. Everything should be wired up and functional tomorrow if I can find the right size quick connects in this one-horse town. If you don't hear from me by Friday, it's because I screwed up the wiring and then I've thrown myself from the roof. Send condolences to to my wife, Booangler knows the address.

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2009, 22:10 
Editor

Great stuff. Those kits looks like a fantastic deal. We will be interested in knowing how they sound.

Therapy goes good with this hobby! ;)

Cheers

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2009, 22:18 

Wow.

Worth building, twice over. A far better system than I thought I was building in the first place.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2009, 20:11 

They sound best without damping material. I thought I'd try it though the main school of thought seems to be that damping is unnecessary in a vented enclosure of this size. With light damping, that is, a double layer of quilt batting or however you spell it, they sound a bit puny.

Without damping, very lively, competent, with well-defined bass, definitely a class act.

The driver terminals are probably metric dimension, rather delicate, and if you'd rather not solder be careful using the crimp-on female disconnects. The 14-18 gauge .187 size worked best for me after I tightened down the clamps just a bit with a pair of pliers.

It turns out the crossover pack, at 5" x 3", would fit right across the back board between the port and the input cup, except my bracing got in the way of it and I didn't feel like cutting away. The crossover PCB is not all surface mount, so it requires standoffs. I used #6 machine screws through a block of MDF, put nuts and washers down, then slipped the PCB over that and tightened down another four nuts, so the first set of nuts were my standoffs. Then I mounted the block to the bottom of the cab. Next pair I'll modify the bracing and just run the screws through the backboard and mount the crossovers there.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 12:04 
Editor

Good to hear that they sound great. $60 is a great price.
Cheers

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 22:32 

Not a very good pic, sorry. Got to check my camera settings.

That's an old Utah from the late Sixties it's perched on there. Got to open those up one of these days.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2009, 22:38 

The less-than-elegant crossover mounting contraption shown here. Those nuts will act as the standoffs.

Crossover in place. I could only use three of the mounting screws. I missed the fourth by 1/32 or so, it was enough.

Braces are oak. I need to try something else on the next pair.

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 00:23 
Editor

I see you finished speakers. What is finish?

Do the crossover boards come prefabricated?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2009, 06:41 
Project Author

You could make money selling speaker enclosures. Those are really nicely done!
So whats wrong with the Oak?
Ri