DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 May 2018, 05:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011, 06:34 
Project Author

Jaycar (where once I worked) have a range of good tweeters. The ones I do use with the Fostex is ribbons. For the time they are not in use but I should bring them out. I did notice tonight that the bass does not extend to the depths of the Eclipse. A suby may be required.

PostPosted: 01 May 2011, 06:23 
Project Author

As of a recent post I once more pulled out the Fostex206 backload horns. These were driven by my 3W 6AS7 set amp. I defintely enjoyed the horns. I played a few tracks which I know very well and are well aware of their mids and low bass. The horns were far to forward with the mids and made the singer sound like she was singing on my lap (I could do worse if it was Mick Jagger). I could forgive that. But the bass just had no extension. The Eclipse went a few more octives lower. For these two reasons I have put the horns away again. Yes the sound stage from the horns was excellent and imaging off-the-planet. But what I like about my SET amp/Eclipse combination just wasn't there.

But I am not blaming the horns. I don't think they get on well with the set amp which is very fussy on what it will sound good on. I will be building more tube amps in the future and once more the horns will come out.

PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 11:15 
Editor

I have the same complaints. There is not much that can be done about the low end which falls off rapidly. You may want to try experimenting with pulling the horns into wall corners.

With the forward response, I find that listening off axis helps.

The other option would be to play with a Baffle Step Correction filter. This should shelf the forward highs and that will make the bass sound more balanced. The drawback is that this may hurt the excellent midrange and spacial attributes of the horn.

Cheers

PostPosted: 07 May 2011, 19:45 
Project Author

Gio:

Yes I thought about the BSC. I know a few who use these drivers for mid-range only and handle the bass and very top end with other drivers. I have a feeling, from what I can remember, the two chamber bass box which I made my son with one of my KTEE SE amps, the smaller, simpler design has a stack more bass with no loss of mids and treblem. Yet to confirm. But I do have a pair of boxes already, just need painting and assembly.

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 12:16 
Editor

Hard to imagine that the smaller double bass reflex enclosure has more low end.

I just got a microphone so hopefully when I get it set up properly I can get some good in-room measurements of my horns.

Cheers

PostPosted: 18 Sep 2012, 00:15 
Editor

I put together a page showing some of the modifications and tweaks I typically do with the stamped frame Fostex drivers.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Drivers/Ful ... ns-Tweaks/
Cheers