DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 06:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 01:33 

Hi all.

I newly joined this forum and trying to enter diy-audio world. I'm even not a beginner on diy-audio stuff, i have to say i don't know anything. Just trying to learn from internet. From what i read on internet, i decided on an OB setup for my first project. First i wanted to make single drive fullrange speaker but then i see it wont give me the low end i want. So i'll try woofer-fullrange-woofer setup with an active crossover and dual amps for biamping.

What i want from my speakers is balanced, uncoloured sound and full frequency spectrum.

I'm on really low budget also i don't want to spend too much on my first build. As the same time shipping is ridiculously expensive to my country (To get these speakers i have to pay 170$ only for shipping!). So i looked P.E. and chose a fullrange and a cheap woofer.

Fullrange i chose is "Tang Band W5-2143".
Woofer is the "GRS 10PR-8 10" Poly Cone Rubber Surround Woofer".

I will try to make the speakers look and work like this;

So here my questions;
Will these speakers "ok" working together?
Will these speakers "ok" with OB?
Will the speaker's provide me the expectations that i mentioned?
Do you have any other thoughts?

I really need your help guys.

Sorry for my english and thank you so much.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 12:35 

Hi,

When you're considering OB speakers, one T/S parameter you should pay close attention to is the Qts. The TB speaker has a Qts of 0.38, meaning it's not suitable for OB, but maybe a horn installation.

The woofer is 1.14, which is still a little low, IMO

Gio is good at OB, maybe he can offer better advice :wizard:

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 16:11 

place the darn speakers in a full enclosure, and be done with it,
unless you are in acoustic research, in that case, fill me in on the
results.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 21:17 

Geek wrote:
Hi,

When you're considering OB speakers, one T/S parameter you should pay close attention to is the Qts. The TB speaker has a Qts of 0.38, meaning it's not suitable for OB, but maybe a horn installation.

The woofer is 1.14, which is still a little low, IMO

Gio is good at OB, maybe he can offer better advice :wizard:

Cheers!

Thank you for your respond. First i wanted to use Tang Band W8-1772 8" driver (the driver on the photo i used in the first post) but its overpriced for me (4 times the money and 2 times the shipping) and it has a QTS of 0.27. I read somewhere that i need 0.7 or more qts for OB but its maybe for single drive desings, dont know, so i need help :blush:. But if i need horn, ill use it. :thumbsup:

For the woofer, again i looked for GRS 12PF-8 12" before this 10" and it has twice shipping cost. (The shipping kills me :| )
But it has 1.54 Qts and if it will make huge difference i'll consider buying it. (My total budget is max 400$ for drivers with shipping so approx 200$ :D )

@steakhead; also thank you for your respond. I really don't like port and cabin noise and i don't want to make a cabin before learn how to calculate and produce it. I'll make some different cabins for the same drivers after i built this one and see how it works.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 22:09 
Editor

Hi k2fg9,

I use a similar setup. Active 2-way, biamp, a woofer and a fullrange on top. XO 200 - 400 Hz. See the links below for more details.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewt ... =11&t=5029
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewt ... =11&t=5996
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Forum/viewt ... 887#p48887

For OB you generally want the driver Qts >0.9. But this is really for bass response, so it is important for the bass driver. For the top of a two way system, with the XO > 200 Hz, the Qts does not really matter for the fullrange driver since we will not be using the bass from it. So you will be fine with that fullrange driver.

Where are you located? For the woofer, many have had success with PA drivers (Eminence Alpha-15A) and often you should be able to find those locally at instrument shops and save on the shipping.

Welcome to the forum.

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2017, 23:55 

Gio wrote:
Hi k2fg9,

I use a similar setup. Active 2-way, biamp, a woofer and a fullrange on top. XO 200 - 400 Hz. See the links below for more details.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5029
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=5996
viewtopic.php?p=48887#p48887

For OB you generally want the driver Qts >0.9. But this is really for bass response, so it is important for the bass driver. For the top of a two way system, with the XO > 200 Hz, the Qts does not really matter for the fullrange driver since we will not be using the bass from it. So you will be fine with that fullrange driver.

Where are you located? For the woofer I have had success with PA drivers (Eminence Alpha-15A) and often you should be able to find those locally at instrument shops and save on the shipping.

Welcome to the forum.

Thank you so much! I already looked up to your topics. I live in Turkey and i can't find any diy-audio stuff here. For PA, for example for the eminence alpha 15", i have to pay 700+$ for four of them in my country. :mad:

And from P.E. it's worse;

So my only option is now this i.m.o. (woofer has a little better Qts than 10" version);

Also i figured out something bad for me, in my country paypal banned! :mad:
I have to figure out payment way also.
I'm so unhappy right now. :|

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 13:24 

Mail drop in an adjacent country? Greece perhaps?

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2017, 20:12 
Editor

Hi, you don't want to be spending that much of your budget on shipping as that cost provides no value. I suggest you try to find higher quality components locally.

You should have no problem finding good drivers in Turkey. Give these places a call to see if you can hunt down an Eminence Alpha-15A.
http://www.eminence.com/dealer-locator/ ... try=Turkey
This driver is a popular choice for OB use and there are many documented projects to help guide you.

Looks like Fotex has a couple of dealers in Turkey http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs ... oup=Europe

If you are set on TangBand drivers, you should be able to find some in the EU and that will be lower shipping.

Any money you save on shipping is money you can spend on getting better components.

Cheers