DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Sep 2020, 05:03

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 13:25 

I just wanted to plant a second speaker project in a separate thread.
This pair was constructed almost 2 years ago as I wanted something smallish and cheapish. After some quick glances I found that a Tangband combo sort of solved my two wishes, so I bought a W5-704 and (later) an 28-847 tweeter. In this photo you see a dirt cheap dome of unknown maker.

Under construction:

The dirt cheap X-over components:

And the first pair of boxes. When I tried to mike the holw for the tweeter smaller all glue seams cracked open ...

Next time: The second and final trial, with the TB tweeter.

“If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.”
―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 22:41 
Editor

How is the sound? The TB tweeter should be an improvement.

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 06:08 

For a small, 9,47 litres ported speakers, they sond very powerful and yet with some bottom. As a smallish speaker for casual music listening, they are purrrrfect. It's really hard to dscribe the sonal/tonal qualities, but I am very pleased.

I promed some more pics. As I manage to crack open some seams when I trued to make a fix for the smaller TB tweeter I decided to go for new boxes.

This is a clos up, showing some paint and the 2-component filler.

At first I had an idea of using some fancy PVC fabric:

But that was before I made my self new boxes. Here I have been using PU-glue again:

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2009, 17:04 
Editor

Hey Magnus, that purple PVC cover looks good.

What is the crossover point and slope you used? I imagine the Tang Band tweeter is a large improvement.
Gio

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2009, 08:15 

I have almost forgotten by now but filters are 12/12dB and I think I choose 2400 or 2500Hz as crossover point. I have a 3dB attenuation for the tweeter - dunno why really but guessed it could be needed.

Well, the PVC looked cool but maybe it was too indiscrete. I had anyhow cracked one baffle and started it all from the beginning. So I decided to use walnut for speaker fronts. As can be seen I alsay the drivers sunk down a few mm, then used some kind of (very expensive) oil to have nice finish.

The idea of covering the raw MDF was transferrede to the second pair of boxes. I simply sew pieces of leather togeher and glued it to the box.

So here are my very "s*xy" small TB-speakers with my wife's highest heels as a comparison.

―Lewis Carroll

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2009, 16:55 
Project Author

Those are really nice Magnus.
I like the speakers to.
Ri

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2009, 21:56 
Editor

I'm afraid I would not make it far in those pumps. Oh yes, the speakers are very nice too! ;)

What is the veneer and finish that you used? It looks great! :up:

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 07:56 

The box itself is 19mm MDF with fine, brown and fairly heavy leather glued on. PVA-glue sticks very good to leather. The front is 18mm solid walnut.
I have glued the details together using PU-glue as this fills cracks, is very strong and sticks to most materials.
My next project are the on-orthodox 2-way speakers described in AudioXpress Autumn 2003. They are based on an 8" HiVi M8a and a VIFA ringradiator XT25. The design will be the same as the TangBand - a heavy MDF box covered in (green) leather and a dark front made of solid wood.

The heels are special. I bought for my wife summer '96, when we came back to Sweden after almost two years work in Russia. It's a little hobby we have to get her a pair or two when we are out travelling. We bought 7 pairs during our trip to USA last summer, and we are on our way back this summer too - 6 weeks!!!! :wizard:

―Lewis Carroll