DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 01:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 11:58 

So I kind of jumped in too soon on trying to make Adam's 1.618 3-way and Center channel speakers. I have the lumber and was ready to order the drivers when I started thinking about he ohms. I remembered that Adam was saying that these speakers are 4ohm speakers and most amps are 6 to 8 ohms. As far as a receiver goes I don’t have a lot of money to spend on one. I would like to stay around 200 to maybe 300. I know back when I was in college we used our party money to buy some nice Klipsch 3way speakers (I’m not sure on the ohms on those) but we had a Yamaha receiver that powered them really nicely.

So I guess my question is I would like to buy a Yamaha or Pioneer elite for around 250, but will they power these speakers ok? Are there any other receivers in that price range you might suggest. Or any other DIY 3-way speakers that are 8ohms?

Thanks for the help, sorry I’m a newb to the board so I’m not sure where to post this.

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2009, 22:39 
Editor

Hi Timmer and welcome to the forum.

Just make sure that the amp you buy can handle a 4 ohm load. Look up the specifications online before you buy one.
Cheers

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2009, 14:04 

So went to the Yamaha web page and looked the manual for the RX-V465 and this is what it said about 4 Ohms

Dynamic Power (IHF)
[U.S.A and Canada models]
Front Speakers 8/6/4/2 Ohms ...........................110/130/160/180 W

So am I safe to assume that this means that the Receiver?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2009, 16:58 
Project Author

That will work well. It will drive them with no problem.
Uriah