DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Jan 2018, 13:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2017, 20:45 

Parts Express just did me a huge solid by giving me a bunch of free speakers. I guess they had been watching my YouTube channel and wanted to make me a brand manager. So they sent me a bunch of speakers, exciters, a few plate amplifiers, tweeters, woofers and even subwoofers. It was an awesome surprise! So a huge shout out to Parts Express and their team there.

I am posting this, to see if you guys want any individual videos or pictures of any of the products I received. Sometimes, those pictures online just do not do it justice. Or if you want me to do any specific projects with them. I am game for about anything. Here's an unboxing of everything I received:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daTy9KWjFm8&t=26s

I have a few ideas already:

1. Passive radiator Subwoofer
2. Soundbar
3. End table Subwoofer with hidden amp - maybe wireless
4. Teach Dats v2 if you guys are interested
5. Get some of the GRS speaker specs out
6. Make a bluetooth Tower speaker with a built in subwoofer.

Those are some of the ideas. I'll post a link and list of all the products I received later tonight. I already started my first build :D I couldn't help it, lol. I guess I am jsut giddy with excitement.

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 12:07 

knok yerslf out

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2017, 12:49 

Will do. I have already almost finished 1 project. It is a Dual Passive Radiator Sub. The results are pretty impressive. When I finish it, I'll post the specs and the cost, as well as all the graphs I have.

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 12:45 
Editor

It's great that PE is reaching out like this. I've been using their WT3 and DATS for a long time now and swear by it. Good to see that they have issued a v2 of DATS, I'll have to look into the changes they made. Measure the same drivers at different temperatures and humidity. It's surprising how much the T/S numbers change with just a few degrees. I'd bet those Asian factories are hot and probably humid too.

Enjoy the PE care package. I'd be giddy too. Let us know how you make out!

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2017, 13:13 

Thank you. I too thought it was really amazing of them.

This is actually my first time using Dats. I'll say, it has been helpful with me being about to test the GRS speakers. I had never used them, because I didn't have a way to test them. So far, the GRS sub I tested had a little different specs. Because of this, the recommended enclosure size went from 1 cubic foot to 1.5. I do not have another one to check it with. But I am wondering, if the GRS woffers have bad QC or if it is a difference in the humidity/temperature like you mentioned.

I have started making a dual passive radiator subwoofer. That should be finished sometime this weekend. I'll try to get the measurements and build log out to you guys sometime next week. So if anyone else wants to build it. I have tested it a little and I love it. But now it is time for the finish work, add a few more braces and add a high pass.

PostPosted: 23 Jul 2017, 19:23 
Editor

The T/S specs will vary considerably with temperature and humidity. Also, with something like a sub you will want to break it in. I use 20-50Hz tone and one of those small lepai amps. After a good amount of breakin you should get reasonably close to the specified Fs.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2017, 18:14 

Gio wrote:
The T/S specs will vary considerably with temperature and humidity. Also, with something like a sub you will want to break it in. I use 20-50Hz tone and one of those small lepai amps. After a good amount of breakin you should get reasonably close to the specified Fs.

Thanks Gio!