DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Apr 2018, 20:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My BIG 4 way build
PostPosted: 23 May 2017, 07:47 

Hi all.

What a great website this has turned out to be, full of information and some very informed people.

I am really hoping I can get some advice about my speaker build. Once upon a time I was married and I was fortunate enough to own a pair of Duntech Sovereigns. Then I got divorced and didn't own a pair of Sovereigns. So now I have a new house and a very large living area to fill with sound I want to build a copy of them seeing as though I cannot find anything this size for a reasonable price.

So I want to build a rather large 4 way 7 speaker system for my very large living area. The size of the speakers I am talking about could never afford commercially. So I have to build them.

I have decided on sealed enclosures, this eliminates a lot of problems for me. I have also decided on a fully active crossover as I inherited a couple of DCX2496 from a friend. I also have access to the amplifiers to run this. My friend runs a CNC factory so cabinets are no problem either.

I figure if I build all of these enclosures separately and then bolt them all together this should also alleviate some of my problems of building something this size. So my first question is whose drivers should I use? Should I stick with one companies range?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: My BIG 4 way build
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 08:46 

what sort of sims have you run on both the configurations you've presented?
speaker choice is going to be a compromise between budget and performance/design objectives emulating the Duntech's is no easy feat!

Post subject: Re: My BIG 4 way build
PostPosted: 27 Jan 2018, 11:38 
Project Author

Hi, An ambitious project. One that has many chances to be less than the result you want. I would suggest an alternative. Since the room is big, it means you can use physically large speakers. I am presently using a pair of 7 cubic foot (about 200L) vented Altec Lansing Magnificants that came to me without drivers. After a lot of research I refurbed them with Great Plains Audio (a major supplier of Altec type components) 15 inch new production 416-8 (alnico version) woofers and Radian 475PB drivers on SEOS 15 inch wave guides. A second order crossover was easy to design and build. Why you might ask when they replace Martin Logan ESLs with powered subs? Simple they sound better and are hugely efficient. I use 5 watts per channel now and was using 40 before. The reason for these particular drivers is that the woofer has extremely flat response from 30HZ to just over 3K (unreal flatness -I have ways to test this). The 475 on that wave guide is quite clean and will reach to 800HZ. I used a 1675 HZ crossover and padded down the 475 to match the 96dbw of the woofer. The result is a really big sound that is clean and well defined. They need a big room to work best. This bit isn't cheap though. Each of the woofers are a little over $300 and the 475 and wave guide add about $175 per channel more. Crossover about $200 (I used really good parts). The plans for building one of the enclosures are out there, but I can take the measurements of mine if needed.

As I said since you don't have the usual size limit issue this is an alternate way to do it. Oh, one more thing....if you want it loud, these will do the job as they are a home variant of the Voice Of the Theater speakers that Altec made back then.

Good listening
Bruce
Attachment:
ALTEC.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.