DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Oct 2018, 04:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: speaker help
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2018, 02:27 

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for accepting me in your forum.

well my name is Paolo Alleaume and i live in an Island called Mauritius in the indian ocean.

i have a project that i want to start, first of all i have a set of speakers Sony SS-H991(RATED INPEDENCE 8 ohms and the SSSR991 a magnetically shielded type rated inpedence 16 ohms. The box of the SS-H991 has been damaged by water and i cannot use anymore. My wish is to convert this speaker by using the same drivers, subswoofer, tweeters for a new Tower type speaker combining the two speakers into one. i have already have a building plan but i don't know if there will be any Crossovers to add so the sound can be better. Any suggestions how i can build my own crossovers or buy it form the stores so it can match the requirements i am looking for. as for the construction side i am ok with but the only information i need to add a crossovers with the sets of speakers i have already as there are none minside the SS-H991.

Awaiting for your reply.

Best regards,

Paolo

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

Post subject: Re: speaker help
PostPosted: 26 Jul 2018, 09:05 
Project Author

Hi Welcome to the forums, There are several possibilities. For components for crossovers the easiest and often least costly place is Parts Express (on the web). You will naturally incur some shipping costs but they ought to be reasonable. There are a number of Asian sites as well and if you can't find them let me know. Parts Express has a crude set of guides on their site for crossover designs but they are minimalist and do not take into account the sensitivities of your individual drivers. The two sites I linked below are better. There are others on the web but you will have to search them out. I personally use the one that came with a book LDC-7. You may find the program separately though...it is run in EXCEL on Windows.

http://www.mh-audio.nl/spk_calc.asp

http://www.erseaudio.com/CrossoverCalculators

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 01:07 

Hi Bruce,

Thank you very much for your reply. I will definitely have a look at the links you sent me. When I open the Sony speaker there were no crossovers inside except on the tweeter. If you can tell me which type of crossovers I need would be great. I will searc for the exact power of each speaker so i can be easily search for the right crossovers.

I will post pictures of my project once I start working on it. It is very exciting to start such a project but the best will be the final results.

Regards
Paolo

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2018, 15:48 
Project Author

Hi Can you post pictures of the insides of the existing speaker enclosures and of the speakers themselves? With speakers like you have if they don't have any existing crossovers is will be a guess on what will work. Based on the size and type of individual speakers some fair guesses may be possible.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2018, 21:25 

Hi Bruce,
Ok I will post you pictures this afternoon.

Thanks

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2018, 09:56 

Hi Bruce,

I am sending you some pics of the actual Sony speaker 3-way to be converted in one main tower speaker.

The actual system is a 3-way magnetically shielded type of speaker. two Woofer 17cm 8 ohms, 2 tweeters 5 cm 8 ohms, 2 super tweeter 2 cm 8 ohms and 2 middle 10 cm 16 ohms. As for the tweeters 5 cm I am ordering new one's. From the design I sent you there will be both woofers, tweeters, middle but should I add the super tweeter I don't know. May be you can guide me on this.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2018, 10:47 

I cannot upload more pictures does not accept.

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2018, 11:07 
Project Author

Hi, I'll study them later today. Probably the reason the photos won't load is the file size. I believe there is a 500KB max size. You will have to change the resolution or type to compress them more if you exceed the size. If it is not possible for you to do this then I will PM you another account to send copies to that goes direct to me.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2018, 22:56 

Hi Bruce,

here are the other two pictures one is the tweeter and the other one is the box itself.

Regards,

PostPosted: 30 Jul 2018, 23:06 

Bruce here is the new tweeter that i will buy.