DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Oct 2018, 05:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2016, 15:13 

Designing Speaker System (Advice Needed/Newbie)

If I have a 700 Watt Stereo Power Amplifier (350 Watts Per Channel). I wish to wire a total of 8 speakers (4 Woofers each at 8 Ohms going to an inductor crossover & 4 Midrange Speakers each at 8 Ohms going through a 400 Volt Film Capacitor crossover) all together within one single speaker cabinet. How should I wire/configure this without overloading my power amplifier?

1. Woofer: Out of the four woofers (each 8 ohms) – can I safely wire each “pair” of woofers in series going to the amplifier; which will give me 4 ohms?

and in addition to the above within one single speaker cabinet; can I also wire the following:

1. Midrange: Out of the four midranges (each 8 ohms) – can I safely wire each “pair” of midranges in series going to the amplifier; also, which will give me 4 ohms? NOTE: Please keep in mind that ALL of the midrange speakers are going to 400 Volt Film Capacitor …..does this effect impedance/ohmages?

Now with everything as outlined above give me a total combined ohmage of 4 Ohms or 2 Ohms?

My second option would be to connect all of the four 8 ohm Woofers in series together and all of the four 8 ohm Midranges together going together into one amplifier terminal which will give me a total speaker ohmage of 16 ohms?

So what is my best solution for this speaker configuration without overloading my amplifier?

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2016, 23:15 

I already got my answer on several optional configurations including sample design drawings from another source. I am fine for now. In addition this other source also recommended that for future loudspeaker designs that I may wish to use a free software called "XSim Crossover" (Free-Form Loudspeaker Crossover Designer and Simulator).

XSim Crossover allows me to see simultaneous multiple graphs of your choice, including impedance's, voltages, power consumptions, group delay, and frequency, impulse, step, and square wave responses. I can even watch the performance and/or stress on any part vary as you tune structure or component values in real-time. The circuit network is re-solved automatically with every change you make.

And so far I have experimented with the "XSim Crossover" and it works great for me. (END)

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2016, 09:04 

You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between "SERIES" and "PARALLEL".

Series is additive: Two 8-ohm speakers in series would give a actual static resistance and nominal impedance of sixteen (16) ohms.
Parallel is reductive: Two 8-ohm speakers in parallel would give a actual static resistance and a nominal impedance of four (4) ohms.

You want to be very careful of the speaker ratings when dealing with a Class D amp of that kind of power. At any level anywhere near clipping you can do some serious damage.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2016, 01:52 

Peter W. wrote:
You have a fundamental misunderstanding of the difference between "SERIES" and "PARALLEL".

Series is additive: Two 8-ohm speakers in series would give a actual static resistance and nominal impedance of sixteen (16) ohms.
Parallel is reductive: Two 8-ohm speakers in parallel would give a actual static resistance and a nominal impedance of four (4) ohms.

You want to be very careful of the speaker ratings when dealing with a Class D amp of that kind of power. At any level anywhere near clipping you can do some serious damage.

I am working with an “old school” Carver M1.5t Stereo Power Amplifier. Which has “Loudspeaker Anti-Clipping Protection” + “Shut Down Amplifier Protection” + “Loudspeaker Voice Coil Overheating Protection” and “a Saving Loudspeakers Protection Mechanism”. And the specs say the Carver M1.5t Stereo Power Amplifier is even capable of working down to 2 Ohms per channel with no problem. They don’t make good amps like these anymore (so-to-speak). I should be okay. But thanks for the input.

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2016, 10:25 

I'm really sorry, about his neighbors!