DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 27 May 2018, 00:18

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 12:11 
Editor

I had mentioned earlier that in addition to the Audio Nirvana Horn 4 Speakers there was also a slightly larger 5" driver to try out and they are the Classic 5" Cast Frame speakers. Below are a couple of photos of the drivers.

Attachment:
Audio-Nirvana-Classic-5-Cast-Frame-Speaker-Drivers.jpg

Attachment:
Audio-Nirvana-Classic-5-Cast-Frame-Speaker-Driver.jpg

Here is a link to the driver datasheets: http://www.commonsenseaudio.com/an5classicspecs.pdf

Heavy cast frame and a huge magnet. Qts is about 0.35 so this driver will work in a wide variety of enclosures. I've had it mounted to my main system which is a 2-way open baffle system for 2 weeks now and I like what I hear, maybe more so than the 4" with the focused cone. More photos to come.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 14:16 

Looks like a heckuva midwoof! :up:

I'd coss at 7K or 8K with a silk dome for my tastes and add sub :smoking:

Efficiency is screaming SET power

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 20:18 
Editor

Interesting you should say that. More and more the idea of a tweeter pops in my head. It funny that I went from single to driver, to two-way and now contemplating 3-way.

Here is a photo of the AN Classic 5" on the open baffle speakers. The bottom is a Eminence Alpha 15A in an H-Frame.

Attachment:
AN-Classic-5-OB.jpg

Hindsight being 20/20, I think the drivers would have looked better had I rotated them 45-degrees.

Sound wise I am pleased. I give these the advantage over the 4" focus cone unit. The XO is set at 300 Hz. A lower XO point can sound better, but with a 100 Hz XO there is a hole (due to baffle step) between 200-400 Hz that I don't like. 300Hz is a good compromise. But 3-way would be another amp! Anyway, problems for another thread.

Below is the in-room response

Attachment:
AN-Classic-5+Emminence-Alpha-15A-fr.jpg

Looking at the plot I could turn up the fullrange more to balance out the sound more, but I seem to prefer the bass a bit warmer.

Again, like the 4" unit, the sound is not in your face. Very pleasant for long listening sessions and even high SPL. I find these larger drivers more open sounding.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2016, 22:17 

I have an engineer friend who is a guru at room treatments. Might be able to smooth that out a bit ;)

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 09:53 
Editor

I've been meaning to do room treatments for ages. I'm just getting comfortable with the mic now so I will get to room treatments soon. Will start with foam and velcro and eventually get to proper panels.

PostPosted: 31 Jan 2017, 23:14 
Editor

Quick update, just got around to adding the Audio Nirvana Classic 5 to the speaker driver page.