DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 02:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 01:05 

Hello,

I am looking into the possibility of diving waay in and trying my hand at building some small, bookshelf' type bass reflex speakers to be used with a small
tube amp (K-12 amp kit with some mods) or similar powered DIY tube amp. I have "0" experience with building speakers, but am mechanically handy, have a number of woodworking tools, and am an electrical engineer with 24+ years of various design experience, looking for some experienced opinions on whether this is a reasonable matchup for an 8 - 15W tube amp, a good/bad idea, or any pointers/advice that you are kindly enough to offer a noob with enough knowledge to get into serious trouble.

I would plan to use this in my office (actually an L-shaped room) that is approximately 5m x 5m, with carpeted floor.

Many thanks for any help you can offer!
Mike

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 13:36 
Editor

Hi Mike,
The Fostex FE103E is good, but I like the Fostex FE127E better for only a little more money. You get a touch more sensitivity and bass.

Here are a couple FE127E ideas:

And here are a couple Fostex FE103E ideas:

And some photos:
Gary's Fostex FE103E Asymmetrical Vented Speakers

Fostex FE127E Bookshelf Speakers

Hope this give you some ideas. Will you be using a sub to fill in the low end?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 20:33 

Thank you, those look like good ideas - I will consider the 127 drivers also as they appear very nice from the specs.
At this point I don't plan to use a sub - I've got lots of corners available to play with as I may like and want to try to get a nice tight, even sound with these speakers.
I've got an old H-K SS amp and big Advent speakers for watching movies with ;-)

Maybe a future project - if this doesn't turn out a disaster - will be to work on a higher powered system with a sub. We'll also have to let the economic situation play into how much "mad-money" I can invest into this at this time.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2009, 23:23 
Editor

If you are not going to be using a sub, I would lean towards the FE127E for that little extra bit of bottom over the FE103E. Also, since you have corners, you could consider a BiB (Bigger is Better) enclosure.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2009, 12:26 
Project Author

I built some FE127E Fonken MKII speakers. Liked them very much with my small tube amp. I thought it was a good match. I have been lamenting the lack of bass but recently tried an equalizer and moved them around the room alot. Much improved bass with combo of equalization and use of corners.
They dont like complicated music but sound fantastic for jazz, folk, light rock. Have not tried any big band music. I am glad I build them and like I said they are a great match for tubes.
Ri