DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 14 Aug 2018, 16:37

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 07:13 

Hello All,
I'm just about to build a pair of back loaded horns using Fostex FE166En's and I want to use their cabinet design. I've just been looking at the diagram and it looks to me as though the throat of the horn narrows at one point instead of staying the same or getting larger.
Can anyone clarify this for me?
Attachment:
Speaker cabiet.png

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 07:20 

Okay, highly embarrassed now as I've just seen that the shaded area is a divider. Any tips before I start assembling the cabinets this weekend coming?

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2016, 09:28 

john55 wrote:
Okay, highly embarrassed now as I've just seen that the shaded area is a divider. Any tips before I start assembling the cabinets this weekend coming?

Not to worry, even I have been known to make the occasional mistake - never more than one per minute, however!

Only the usual:

Measure carefully.
Assemble to be plumb, level, square.
No gaps where they should not be.
Use the best possible glue you can find, in sufficient, but not sloppy quantity.
Give everything enough time to cure! If the package directions say 24 hours, allow 36.

Be patient with the results - tweaking may be required.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 03:48 

Halfway through building the BLH cabinets and the drivers have arrived. Hoping to fire them up this weekend. Apart from wanting to compare them to the bass reflex cabinets that I'm using now, I'm wondering about how they would all sound together. I'm using the 6EM7 vertical amp and I'm not sure of the effect on the valves and OP transformers. What's better, 4 ohm or 16 ohm? Would appreciate any advice,

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2016, 07:32 

john55 wrote:
Halfway through building the BLH cabinets and the drivers have arrived. Hoping to fire them up this weekend. Apart from wanting to compare them to the bass reflex cabinets that I'm using now, I'm wondering about how they would all sound together. I'm using the 6EM7 vertical amp and I'm not sure of the effect on the valves and OP transformers. What's better, 4 ohm or 16 ohm? Would appreciate any advice,

WOW! there are as many answers to this question as there are worms in the proverbial can. Two schools of thought:

a) run at the tap up from the nominal impedance of the speaker in question. This reduces the stress on the power transformer (translates into heat) but also somewhat derates the output (in watts). Given the typical response curve of the typical speaker this is also the 'safe' option.

b) run at/below the nominal impedance of the speaker in question. This maximizes the power to the speaker, and purportedly gives the best frequency response - and the most bass.

There are infinite variations between.

Now, if you have a modern, well-designed, well made output transformer using good materials and in a well designed circuit, you should be at low risk running at the lower impedance tap. Otherwise, you are at some level of risk and should watch things closely, constantly checking for excess heat until you establish that the system is working safely.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2016, 02:25 

Thanks for your quick response Peter. Output transformers are Edcores so shouldn't be a problem there. The circuit is by Matt Renaud (6EM7 SET Vertical Amplifier) so no problem there either. I will only be playing around for a short time out of curiosity so I'll keep an eye on the OP transformers heat.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 06:49 

It's taken some time but the back loaded horns are just about finished. I find that "earning a living" does steal time away from what's really important.
Once the assembly was done I filled the cavities below the drivers with sand in old socks (well washed to eliminate hum). I also used a wool damping material directly behind the drivers and some felt glued to the magnets and spokes if the drivers. The first sound test showed up a little harshness in the vocals which I had expected. Using the calculator on this site I built a pair of BSR circuits. The second sound test was very good. Clean, warm mids, crystal clear highs and a much improved bass over the Fostex bass reflex speakers I built last year. I've covered the cabinets to match the other equipment I've built. I decided to mount the BSR circuits outside the cabinets and make them switchable, just to give me the option for adjustments later. I'm running the BLHs in series with the bass reflex cabinets at the moment and the sound is really sweet. Although the bass is good, I am using an active subwoofer for that tiny little bit more.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 07:03 
Project Author

Looks good.

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 08:32 

congrats john, looks nice.

what are the smaller boxes on top of the horn ?

PostPosted: 17 Feb 2017, 10:38 

The smaller cabinets are bass reflex using Fostex FF165WK's 6.5 inch full range drivers. They sound really nice but the horns have that extra "thud" to the bass.