DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 26 May 2018, 10:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2016, 14:16 

Interesting idea! OSB is dirt cheap ($2-something/sheet on sale) and one side is smooth as glass from the mfg. process.

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2016, 12:29 

this may seem a little off topic but after looking at this thread i'm sort of wondering why the term "horn" is used in conjunction with these drivers, it seems a little misleading imo.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2016, 22:25 
Editor

Agreed. It seems to imply a driver line for horn enclosures. In fairness, the shape of the cone does resemble a front loaded horn somewhat. One thing I have learnt with drivers - don't judge them by their name or the specifications sheet for that mater!

I'm really enjoying these drivers in an open baffle system and they have a very good performance to price ratio, especially for those in the US who would get free shipping.

Cheers

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 07:19 

if the horn/bump affects the radiation pattern of the driver i'm wondering if it could be used to good effect as a focusable surround speaker?(as in ceiling installed and turned to maximize the output toward the listening area)

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2016, 20:07 
Editor

Yes, I think that would be a good use as a small rear satellite speaker.

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2016, 22:37 
Editor

Attached are the Classic 4+ ferrite drivers on a open baffle combined with an H-Frame Open Baffle Speakers with Eminence Alpha 15A to cover off the low-end response.
Attachment:
Horn-4-OB-HiFi-Dec-2016.jpg

I found that the Audio Nirvana Classic 4+ drivers worked well in my OB. Relative to the similar sized Fostex drivers which can often sound a touch forward and bright, I would characterize Classic 4+ response as more balanced and with better focus. This may be due to the camel hump cone design which is intended to redirect sound that would normally be directed at the floor and ceiling towards the listening position. The balanced response from the speakers is conducive for long and even loud listening sessions without the onset of listener fatigue. This response blended in very well with my listening room, which while carpeted has a reflective ceiling and walls, I would generally characterize the room as bright. Normally I toe in the open baffle speaker position with Fostex drivers so that they cross before the listening position, between about 20 to 30 degrees off-axis. With the Classic 4+ drivers I find that no speaker toe in is required and the benefit for listening to the drivers on-axis is a wider sound stage.

I've got the AN Classic 5 drivers mounted now and I'll post some photos in a new thread.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 11:12 

Gio wrote:
Yes, I think that would be a good use as a small rear satellite speaker.

Question:

This would assume some sort of accommodation for timing? I listen in a moderately large room (17' x 28' x 10') such that timing and echo patterns are discernible. A satellite speaker sufficiently far off the plane of the main speakers might have an inadvertent effect?

Just throwing a pebble in that pond.

PostPosted: 15 Dec 2016, 19:48 
Editor

I have had home theater amps that will adjust for this. Either you enter the distance of the speakers from the listening position and it calculates automatically or you can enter the delay in milliseconds manually. I never really had success with multi-channel setups for use with Hi-Fi audio.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2017, 08:55 
Editor

turk 182 wrote:
this may seem a little off topic but after looking at this thread i'm sort of wondering why the term "horn" is used in conjunction with these drivers, it seems a little misleading imo.

Gio wrote:
Agreed. It seems to imply a driver line for horn enclosures. In fairness, the shape of the cone does resemble a front loaded horn somewhat.

Just a heads-up. Because of some confusion caused by the 'Horn' name, the driver name was changed to Classic 4+ in Dec 2016. I like this better as it better describes the new driver which is essentially the same as the Classic series, but with the camel bump cones.

I've updated this thread to reflect the new driver name.

Cheers

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2018, 23:08 
Editor

In the past few days I went back to the Classic 4+ OB speakers as shown 4 posts back. Had a friend over yesterday who is well read on OB theory and he suggested pulling the speaker further away from the wall and also re-positioning the listening chair further back. So I let him take over the setup and using a dayton omnimic the crossover was dialed in at a little below 300 Hz with 12dB slopes. The speakers are now 6 feet (1.8 m) from the wall and this results in a large improvement. The midrange response benefited the most from the positional improvements and also there were improvements to the top end which was more extended and airy. The XO was dialed in for a flat response but I probably will dial the bass up about 2dB as I prefer the bass on the warm side.