DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Sep 2020, 05:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 19:53 
Project Author

Well, I'm NO speaker expert, but I'm trying my hand at making a couple small speakers that might go with my 6T9 amp I built. The speaker assemblies came out of an old RCA Big Screen TV and are rated at 8 ohms 25 watts. Nothing special, but I thought they would make nice bookshelf speakers. The box is made of poplar stock from Lowes and isn't made to any specifications. I'm just going by what's available in wood and the size of the speaker assembly... I hope I'm not on a path for a let-down... The woofers are 5" and the tweeter is a voice coil type and about 1" I think. It will be a sealed box. No port. And I plan to stuff it with fiber.

Anyhow, after multiple frustrating attempts to get the nice 45 degree angle as well as straight square cuts, i think i've come up with a nice enclosure. next, I'll try to make a duplicate then much sanding, staining and finishing.
Attachment:
box2.jpg
Attachment:
box1.jpg
Attachment:
speaker.jpg

Anyhow, thoughts or comments?

-Steve

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2009, 22:57 
Editor

Hi Steve, I too would try sealed. Were they originally run open baffle? Any speaker crossover details?

Woodwork looks fine to me! :up:

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 10:25 
Project Author

Thanks for the comments, Gio! the box pretty much consumed my weekend. I have alot of scrap wood pieces that were oopses...

Yes, I believe they were just an open baffle design, within a very large 50" TV cabinet.
I'm attaching a schematic of the crossover that came with the speakers. I don't know if I should use it or try to design a different one.
Attachment:
speaker.gif

Also, sorry I havn't been around much. Life has been very busy the past couple of months.

-Steve

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 13:45 
Editor

OK, if there were OB, they are likely not well suited to a ported enclosure. Sealed may work and stuffing the box may help too.

The existing XO is a good place to start. Try it out and see how it goes. If it works well, you can later swap out the capacitors for non-polar types or film.

The 4.7uF + 10R make up a Zobel Circuit.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2009, 21:30 
Project Author

Thanks Gio!

Well, I have the one speaker assembled and tried it out with my 6T9 amp (along with one of the Olsons). Now, I didn't expect the little speaker to sound as good as the Olson, but so far, it is very disappointing. The little guy is not very sensitive. Its certainly only half as loud as the Olson. It has crisp highs, but weak mids and very little bass. Overall, it just sounds "muted". I will try it out on another amp I have and compare it to another set of small bookshelf speakers. Probably Thursday as tomorrow will be quite busy for me...

Looks like I'm going to have to do more experimenting.