DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 13:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 May 2016, 07:11 

I've decided to go forward with my first speaker project. I hope to use the speakers with a lower powered tube amp so I'm leaning towards the Fostex drivers, either FE126En, FE166En, or FE206En.

There are several enclosure options detailed here and elsewhere, and what I need help with is narrowing down the field. I have lots of experience with plywood, so difficulty level is not a concern. I listen to primarily rock, alternative, and electric.

The FE206En with their recommended Back-Loaded Horn looks like fun, but do people prefer the Double Bass Reflex Type Enclosure?

The FE126En is more cost effective and the Frugel-Horn Mk3 looks really nice, but will it have enough bass?

Is the FE166En a good balance between the two?

I'm hoping their is someone out there who has experience with the various enclosures and can steer me in the right direction.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 20:26 
Editor

Generally, the mid-range and top-end is better with the smaller drivers and you get more bass with the larger drivers. For a single driver loudspeaker, I would go with the FE206En as you will want that extra bottom for more range. For the music you like, I would suggest the DBR as it goes much deeper than the BLH. For jazz, vocals, classical I would suggest the horn. I have a BLH with FE206E in the rec room. High sensitivity so it works well with small SE amps like EL84 and 6V6.

Cheers

PostPosted: 26 May 2016, 22:42 

Here's some awesome sites for Fostex info:
http://www.frugal-horn.com/
http://www.frugal-phile.com/
http://www.t-linespeakers.org/

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design