DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 05:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fe103Sol open baffle
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 04:12 

Hello everyone. I use a pair of fe103 sigma on back loaded horn build for my system (el84 poddwatt + forewatt pre + groovewatt phono pre with an Audio Tecnica MM cartridge). My speakers sounds lovely with classical and jazz, but they sound "flat" on the bass when it comes to louder and angrier kind of music, now i have at home lying around a bran new pair of fe103sol, looking around i saw some very interesting builds of open baffle systems using the fostex and Eminence Alpha 15A woofers. I would like to ask if i can run these trough a passive crossover since all the builds i saw uses indipendent plate amps for the woofers, also if these speakers will actually sound good with my system (i have sadly a large room since my usual smaller listening room has to be repainted and fixed after a flood)

Post subject: Re: Fe103Sol open baffle
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 05:58 

Driver Qts is probably too low for open baffle. Don't most Fostex have a Qts aroud 0.2-0.3? OB like them over 2.0...

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 16:36 

a woofer will be used to eliminate the need to produce bass frequencies from the fostex. the qts of the full range drivers are no longer as important as if I was using only the fostex. One requirement is that the
efficiency of the woofer must be greater than the fe103 ones.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2015, 21:08 

TIJ-NIKI wrote:
Hello everyone. I use a pair of fe103 sigma on back loaded horn build for my system (el84 poddwatt + forewatt pre + groovewatt phono pre with an Audio Tecnica MM cartridge). My speakers sounds lovely with classical and jazz, but they sound "flat" on the bass when it comes to louder and angrier kind of music, now i have at home lying around a bran new pair of fe103sol, looking around i saw some very interesting builds of open baffle systems using the fostex and Eminence Alpha 15A woofers. I would like to ask if i can run these trough a passive crossover since all the builds i saw uses indipendent plate amps for the woofers, also if these speakers will actually sound good with my system (i have sadly a large room since my usual smaller listening room has to be repainted

The Fostex FE-103 SOL should work well with the Eminence Alpha 15A in an OB using a passive crossover. The OB design in your picture is perfect all you have to do is work out the crossover to match your full range driver.. The only concern I have is your tube amp, I have not had good results driving this type of passive OB system with a tube amp and always recommend a good SS amp.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2015, 23:44 

Yeahh i have read about that. Big filter coils doesn't work well with tube amps.. I should keep this project for my Sherwood amp..

The problem remains.. my room is too big for the fe103.. i world hardly go back to multiways now that I tasted the full ranges.. but for my gender of music (angry blues, stuff like Joe bonamassa and dire straits) what could be a good solution for my tube amp?

PostPosted: 28 Dec 2015, 11:41 
Editor

I have used the same as yours. With the KT88 oddwatt amplifiers (push-pull), there was no problem with a passive crossover.

More recently I have moved to a newer OB system, using the same Eminence Alpha 15A woofer but now I use bi-amplification and an active crossover as I can swap in different fullrange units and need the flexibility of variable crossover points. It's working real well for me so far.

Cheers