DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 03:16

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2011, 20:00 

I'm a newbie to this forum and not exactly sure where to post this. I'm Jason. I'm new to the speaker BUILDING world. I've been an audio/video guy for 12 or so years, but recently I've been interested in building an iPod docking station. I have a decently educated ear and appreciate Hi-fi systems. Here's my 1st attempt at building a system from scratch using car component speakers and the rest of the parts are from parts-express.com. I wanted to create something that provides exceptional sound quality, AND, achieve a high SPL when necessary. This docking station has 2 separate volume controls. One is for the front speakers which is intended for SQ. The second volume control is for the side speakers, which was designed to create sound quantity (for the backyard or even for a party). The amp is a SURE tripath amp which puts out 100x4 rms @ 4ohms. The power supply is double the size of the amp. Thanks for checking it out.
Here is the build process. I spent around 70 hours. Only things not pictured are the newly installed carrying handle and the rear middle port which serves a ventalation tube for the power supply.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 01:40 

This project was preceeded with an "I double-dog dare ya!" over a beer, wasn't it? :D

Fabulous work!

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 03:01 

haha you would think so!!! nah, i'm just crazy and trying to keep myself busy. plus, i got tired of the hearing the shitty sounding docking stations at apple. i know they have some good sounding ones, but they run about 500 and the price grows. this whole thing cost around 300 and is way cooler in my opinion.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2011, 15:11 

Great job! :o

I´m sure you´re very pleased with it! :)

Cheers!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 03:00 

thanks HT. I am very pleased with it. i am blown away with superb these cadence components sound with such a sloppy enclosure!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 05:18 

The only thing that concerns me is the ventillation for the power supply doesn't seem up to snuff.

Have you had overheating issues?

Cheers!

Work: Classic Valve Design

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2011, 11:40 
Project Author

Hi, Very nice build. I use Mean Well power supplies also. Good construction, durable and not expensive. It saves having to worry about compliance with electrical codes and shock hazards. The Tripath based amps a good choice as well. Powerful, extremely efficient (means low heat generation) and surprisingly musical. I have a few around and while I am not about to get rid of any of my tube gear, they seem to sound better to me than standard SS gear. I won't go wandering around in the what sounds better and why territory, but they have a different quality sound that standard design SS amps. Keep up the great work. :thumbsup:

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 19:09 

Geek wrote:
The only thing that concerns me is the ventillation for the power supply doesn't seem up to snuff.

Have you had overheating issues?

Cheers!

the power supply actually has a built in fan and to my understanding these amps run very cool. if you go on parts-express you can read the reviews for this. the cooling port was probably overkill. as you can see the amp is in one of the chambers and is also doesn't get warm. i did a ton of pretesting with the amp and the power supply in a small sealed enclosure and had no issues.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2011, 19:11 

thanks bruce! yeah so far the amp/power supply combo is impressing me. we'll see how long it stays alive.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2011, 17:59 
Project Author

That be there some some impressive building skills.... AWSOME JOB! And I bet that is the best sounding guetto blaster in the hood. :mrgreen:

I love the creativity, great paint job, and the blue glow that eminates from the front, I want one now and the price is quite easily affordable too. :P