DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Aug 2019, 03:17

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: crossover confusion
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 18:42 

Thanks for your reply. The filters I have bought compete as the attachment says. I screwed up when I ordered parts at the other side of the world and had the filters brought over by a friend. I was going to solder the lot using a lay-out from the driver supplier. Screwed up as said and checked the Visaton one with the on-line calculator and found the diffrences a bit strange or not logical to me. Perhaps I gave too much information but have a look again, the small diffrences are between 8Ohm and 6Ohm tweeter with the online calc. The visaton compared to that is 1.0mH vs 0.6 mH and 10 µF vs 4.69 µF for low and 0.3 mH vs 0.6 mH and 3.3µF vs 4.69µF for the tweeter, that confuses me a bit. Like I said if it would be better to keep it simple the values would be closer wouldn't they?
Just to avoid a (real) bad result and can get correct (if needbe) parts brought over in 2 weeks time, after that I won't have a chance for a long time, this is a difficult country to import goods into. Cheers

PostPosted: 04 Nov 2014, 22:27 

your splitting hairs the differences your talking about are small and without hearing the result i think your making much ado about nothing.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 08:18 

That's fine. I asked for reassurance in my strting post. And I don't understand all the fuzz they make in DIY forums about the little differences that would make a hell of an impact on the sound using only 1 Ohm difference or 4.7mH instead of 0.3 on theit filters. I presume the whole lot of filter freaks are splitting hairs then. I better keep track of the building of cabinets and not worry too much about these little bits and pieces, although important it may be overvalued. At the end of the day it is the music you are listening to, not the parts that (re)produce it. Cheers.

PostPosted: 06 Nov 2014, 15:30 

if after the break in period is over and you've listened to them for a long period of time crossover refinements can make a significant sonic difference; but your talking about a crossover that was intended for two 8 ohm impedance loads and your not understanding why with a different part value the newly computed results are different. was the supplier supposed to make a custom crossover based on your purchase choices?
my position is merely that despite the differences you still essentially have a working 3k crossover that with the drivers you have could still turn out to sound just fine but you really don't know until you try.
if tailoring a crossover is your thing maybe try active filtering like Mini Dsp (you'll never be stuck finding the right components ever again)

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2015, 15:26 

Break in period is over, been away for a while as well. The sound stinks, everything over about 1000Hz is clear and nice, everything below is hardly audible. It goes down to approx 55/60hz with a tone generator but hardly no sound, it should be flat as of around 100Hz.
The box is sealed and 35Ltrs. according to diiferent sites/programs this should be Ok, now I wonder what the hick-up is.
BTW a 4.7Ohm is in the Tweeter signal as it is 6 Ohm and not 8. The tweeter is about 3 dB more sensitive but have a freq control built in as well to dampen.
Should I try a new x-over?

Thanks,
Ed

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 09:29 

i hope it's not a case of your bass drivers being bad/faulty.
have you verified all the connections at the crossover?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 12:31 

Both being faulty? I switched polarity at the x-overs and L & R at the boxes to no avail. Both sound exactly the same.
Funny enough does the CD from Tears for Fears perform almost perfect although has more bass drum than bass.
I'm puzzled.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 12:47 

how do they sound if you bypass the x-over?
i'd try running them direct,no x-over no tweeter just to check if the drivers are ok
if there's a big difference then that would point to a crossover problem.
how did the boxes turn out?(any pic's you can upload)

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 15:36 

Attachment:
Visaton - Seas.jpg
OK, I can try that. Thanks.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2015, 15:48 

nice!!
i sincerely hope you can sort this out.