DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Apr 2018, 22:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 12:43 

I purchased the Fostex P1000E DIY Kanspea 4" Full Range Speaker Kit from Madisound about a month ago.
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/2- ... -kit-pair/

It comes with two options, the FE103En or the FF105WK. I chose the latter because the FF105WK does a little better in the small BR enclosure. This is an interesting little kit. It's inexpensive, the enclosures are quite nice albeit small, assembly is easy, and the sound is way above the price. I didn't purchase the little D-amp that is an option with the kit. I drive mine with a Marantz PM8004 amp.

I started some of the mods that Gio did with his FE103En, the duct seal putty on the stamped frame and the damping material on the back of the magnet. The sound is amazing, especially with vinyl. A subwoofer is mandatory in my opinion. If you want a cheap easy kit to get a taste of that Fostex sound I highly recommend this kit.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 22 Sep 2013, 18:18 
Project Author

Jimofoakcreek: they look smart. Nice to hear they sound good too.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 09:36 
Editor

Cool, I didn't realize these kits were available. They look great. What sort of wood are the enclosures made of?

The enclosure looks a bit smaller than the Fostex FE103En Bass Reflex Bookshelf Speakers I'm using. For near-field I can get by without a sub.

Cheers

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 14:00 

Here are the final mods. My acoustastuff arrived from Madisound today. I stuffed both cabinets. The damping on the back of the magnet is a plastic packing foam material.

The cabinet is veneered with a vinyl wood grain. At first I thought it was real veneer so I put on my 3X reading glasses. It's very well done but it's definitely not real wood. The cabinets are 121mm W x 243mm H x 179mm D (4.75" W x 9.56" H x 7.04" D) and about 3/8" thick.

Fostex has their own 'house sound' IMHO. Without the mods, brand new out of the box, these speakers can get a bit piercing. It takes some time to break them in. Mine have about 50 hours on them. The mods helps to take the edge off some of the piercing higher frequencies. The detail and imaging is pin-point. I like them so far and they keep getting better. I was told these FF105WKs don't really start to sound good until after 100 hours. We'll see!

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 18:06 
Project Author

Jimofoakcreek: looks like way too much stuffing to me?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 18:53 

mwhouston wrote:
Jimofoakcreek: looks like way too much stuffing to me?

How much should I use?

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 21:02 
Project Author

JimOfOakCreek wrote:
How much should I use?

I use a single layer all around the inside of the box. But mine is like 1" think from a roll.

Just line the inside of the box.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2013, 22:39 
Editor

Fluff up about 85 to 110 g (3 to 4 oz) of polyfill and try that as a starting point.

Cheers

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013, 07:30 

Jim,
Nice looking speakers! Did you order the kit off of their website? I bought some Fe126en 4" drivers from the actual store in Madison. Very nice people and they were very willing to help me with my questions. I need to build my speakers yet, thanks for reminding me!

What are you using to drive the speakers? The little Fostex amp?

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2013, 08:33 
Project Author

RossD wrote:
Jim,
Nice looking speakers! Did you order the kit off of their website? I bought some Fe126en 4" drivers from the actual store in Madison. Very nice people and they were very willing to help me with my questions. I need to build my speakers yet, thanks for reminding me!

What are you using to drive the speakers? The little Fostex amp?

What little Fostex amp? The only amp which should drive Fostex is a Low power tube amp.