DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Feb 2018, 16:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2013, 15:40 

I could not find any information on the web about trying to repair broken cables on a pair of Bowers & Wilkins C5 headphones. So If anyone else is looking for information, here is what I found out when trying to repair mine:

They can't be repaired. They are almost impossible to dismantle without braking them apart. There are two "screw-like" objects on the top, that looks a bit like the screw heads found on e.g. Nintendo game consoles. Those aren't screws in the sense that you can unscrew them to take the driver unit apart. I finally gave up and used a metal saw to open them.

They are well crafted, and even when completely opened, I immediately gave up the idea to exchange the cable. One more thing: I have taken quite a few headphones and other types of driver units apart. I have never before been faced with the fact that there are No colour coding Whatsoever on the positive and/or negative cords. At least I am unable to visually distinguish the one from the other.

I love these headphones for their sound. Some regard them "coloured" and "bass heavy" - and to some extent I agree. I used them for my iPhone every day at work and in the car, and for listening to music and audio books. In my personal opinion, they sound great.

BUT: The quality of the cable quality is not up to par with the price unfortunately. After my first pair gave up I decided to buy another pair, but also the second pair lasted only 1,5 years. I did not try to get them repaired under warranty - I opted now for a pair of Ethymotic Research series 3. Let's see how long they last.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 10:29 

I looked up the screws on old NES games and it looks like a 3.8mm Security Bit is used for them.

PostPosted: 17 Sep 2013, 12:00 

RossD wrote:
I looked up the screws on old NES games and it looks like a 3.8mm Security Bit is used for them.

Oki, did not know the name of the screw type. The screw-like objects on the C5:s are rivets, used for fastening element/driver to the outer casing (and the air-port in the other end). They are IMHO intentionally made non-serviceable.

I do understand that manufacturers are starting to make cables exchangeable more often on pricier models (just as on my old Sennheiser HD600:s). It's the cables that give up due to lack of mechanical stability and much wear and tear. How I wish I could re-use the drivers on the C5:s, attached to a new cable... instead I'm throwing perfectly OK drivers @ 180 USD x 2 in the bin (as I bought 2 pairs).

Cheers, </Tommy>

PostPosted: 01 Oct 2015, 14:58 

If you find the sound levels of the C5 decrease over time, have a look at this quick fix to cleaning the metal screens: http://blog.macconsultant.nl/2015/09/01 ... earphones/

Hopes this helps someone :D

PostPosted: 01 Nov 2016, 17:17 

I managed to fix mine and made a video so others can do the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aS8Er0MiemE