DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Jul 2019, 12:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2013, 17:28 
Project Author

I mentioned rear tweeter phase change because I thought in your schematic they looked in phase. Most of the time with these type of projects you just have to try different things to see what works. And that's what you have done.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2013, 21:15 

Bruce

Just to clarify the dimensions of the baffle: are they as shown in the article's baffle plan (32.25" x 36.75") or as shown plus 3" all around as mentioned in the text?

Regards

Anthony

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2013, 18:39 
Editor

Hi Anthony,

Build to the dimensions shown in the plan.

Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2013, 22:34 

After a hiatus (lack of room) I'm getting back in to some DIY. This looks like a fun project. Any chance of some more pics? The simple line drawing and the supplied photos on the article page didn't quite give me the full picture. Some front,back,side pics to show the whole thing would be fantastic.

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2013, 15:34 

dasfreak wrote:
After a hiatus (lack of room) I'm getting back in to some DIY. This looks like a fun project. Any chance of some more pics? The simple line drawing and the supplied photos on the article page didn't quite give me the full picture. Some front,back,side pics to show the whole thing would be fantastic.

Check out the project page, here: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Cobies/

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 07:36 

yeah seen those. I was hoping for some pulled back shots from different angles to get a better overall view as opposed to the detail shots in the article.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2013, 10:32 
Project Author

Hi, My oops. I didn't notice the questions. The actual size of the baffle is as in the plans. It takes into consideration that I added the "frames". You can fudge the dimensions a little without compromising the sound. In this case bigger is better so rounding off to even inches is fine. I would avoid going any smaller as it will cut into the bass response. The front baffles should be pretty rigid so as to not resonate significantly. The sides can be nearly anything you want. I heard that someone used Styrofoam sheets there. I used wood. The internal cross braces can be anything handy as well. They are there just to give everything enough support so it will not fall over. You actually could leave them out if you fasten the sides with sufficiently strong brackets. The extended "feet" on mine allowed me to both increase stability (I have three large black cats that like to help test that aspect) and make tilt adjustments. The angle of the tilt is fine without the feet for most listening situations, but I found in my room a slight decrease in the angle was more to my liking. The feet allowed me to adjust the tilt to accommodate that preference. You could do that just as easily with screw in adjustable levelers though (even small blocks of wood would do). The one thing that is significant about the speakers is that they are customizable. You can and IMHO should do a bit of "fiddling around" with the placement, tilt, toe in, and such with them. I will certainly admit that it can be frustrating on occasion as they are not something you can just plunk in place and expect the best performance. But then this is what diy is all about. Doing something, then learning a little about it and adjusting it and learning a bit more. These speakers exemplify that thought. All that said though, when you do find the "sweet spot" for them the sound can be quite amazing. I don't know how you can get that much ambiance and sound quality for anything near the cost.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2014, 17:01 
Project Author

Hi Everyone, The COBIES will appear as a diy project in the September Audio Express magazine. At least that is what they say. I saw the proofs Friday.

A fun, cheap project for anyone needing moderately efficient speakers. Really nice sound, well above the price point.

Good listening
Bruce

PostPosted: 20 Jul 2014, 20:23 
Project Author

We'll done Bruce.

PostPosted: 14 Aug 2014, 22:26 
Project Author

Hi, I almost feel famous (not really). I got my September AE and there it was just like they said. Actually I'm glad to spread the word around to new folk on how easy it is to do some diy projects. Audio can be fun and need not be expensive.

Good listening
Bruce