DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 May 2019, 21:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2013, 23:29 

@Turk 182

I didn't get a chance to try the alternative wiring. I was too intent on getting the things wired up and operational, as it'd been a long time since I ordered the panels.
Looking at the speaker from the front, with driver #1 at top and #4 at bottom, they are wired up - red terminal to positive of #1, negative of #1 to positive of #2 and negative of #2 to black terminal. Drivers #3 and #4 are wired similarly. In other words Drivers #1 and #2 in series with each other, drivers #3 and #4 in series with each other and then both series pairs parallelled.

@Mofar68
There is significant research into the speaker boxes and the volume of the box is deteremined by the drivers that you are using. The dimensions are based on a golden ratio which is 1.6 : 1.0 : 0.6. and the more drivers you put into the box, the internal volume of the box increases accordingly. For instance if one driver was resonant at a particular frequency in a 10 litre box, then if you put four drivers in, the volume should be 40 litres.

The mini-line array (MLA) is slightly different in the fact that the volume is calculated based on a single driver and then more drivers are placed in that same volume. Also for a proper line array, like you see at a concert, they are supposed to be curved so that the sound from the drivers at the end of the array reaches you at the same time that the sound from the centre of the area.

The internal dimensions of my boxes were 262 x 262 x 1250 mm which is 85.8 litres but there is bracing inside, which reduces the volume slightly. This of course doesn't correspond with the golden ration because 1) when I used this for a volume of 85 litres, the 'golden' dimensions were too large for the space that I had to put them in and 2) I needed a longer front face to ensure that all the drivers were nicely spaced and 3) originally I was going to use eight drivers (but that was overkill)

The port is calculated at 50mm diameter and 55mm long. This is not very long, due to the fact that the cabinets are built out of 25mm MDF. It sits direct centre on the back of the box and the centre of the port, from memory, is 100mm from bottom edge of back panel.

Cheers Nodz

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2013, 06:19 

nodz
if you get a chance try wiring your #2 and #3 as the start point i.e. 2 to 1 series and 3 to 4 then parallel the two legs making the center pair the start point of both your series legs.
rewire only one so you can listen to both for comparison.
in my experience with large multiple driver arrays in pro pa setups this scheme can have significant impact on the overall sound. i'm also finding this to be true is my tinkerings at home.