DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Nov 2019, 12:30

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jan 2013, 22:52 

Vented box at the rear. Calculated to have a 50mm diameter vent that is 55mm long.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013, 06:27 

with 4 drivers per box i'm interested to know what your wiring scheme will be.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013, 15:31 

Will be wired in a series/parallel connection. Two series pairs, connected in parallel to maintain 8ohms.

Haven't decided whether to wire 1+2 and 3+4 as pairs or 1+3, 2+4.

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2013, 17:16 

:up: well as i am currently engaged in an investigation as to the effects of series speaker wiring i'd like to see if you would mind a little experiment to see if you can confirm or discredit something for me.
in the process of rebuilding an old pair of Traynor columns that had 4 tired old 8" drivers i noticed that following the series path the first driver always seems to be louder and tonally fuller than the second which complicated matters for me as to wiring and placement in short after several schemes and a sidebar experiment with zobels i settled on two series legs paralleled but made the two drivers in the "center" first in the series legs leaving the softer sounding driver towards the "ends" of the box
which to me sounded the best overall. being that your design is similar to the column in arrangement it might be interesting to see if what i experienced is real and relavant as you could a/b between your two boxes as to different schemes yourself and let me know if if you can perceive any difference

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013, 01:55 

Bracing is in, third coat of stain to go on. All the terminals, wire, stuffing are here. Pre-drilling of rear panels completed. Hopefully more photo and finishing off this weekend. Will be complete apart from the driver grilles and isolation feet.

PostPosted: 04 Feb 2013, 20:49 

hey nodz
how are things progressing.i hope you get a chance to post some pic's.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 14:12 

I've got the first one wired up. There is still a little more work - the grills and feet and some final varnishing/staining. I forgot to take pics as I was progressing, only took a single photo at the end. Will be doing the other one today, so a chance to get more pics as I progress.

I am currently using my old Philips F-1662 mini hi-fi unit for a comparison. Not a high quality unit but just something to get music through to the speaker. The Philips unit has 2 x 20W closed box speakers. The sound of the new unit was not as loud as I expected in comparison. Louder, but not as loud as expected. I couldn't help but wonder whether the Philips unit was a 4 ohm speaker and I've wired the new drivers in an 8 ohm series/parallel configuration. Trouble is, I've misplaced the manual of the Philips unit and so I am not able to determine whether that is the case. When I'm wiring up the other speaker today, I'll get the multimeter out and measure the old ones. The mini-line array (MLA) has a measured 7.3 ohm across the terminals.

Despite all of this, what was amazing was the clarity of all the instruments, they seemed to jump out of the music at me. Nothing was tinny and nothing was muffled compared with the standard speakers of the hi-fi unit. The base seemed fuller, rounder, really driving the music but not thumping and the mid range seemed cleaner and clearer. The Philips speaker, seems to have a sort of muffled thumping base and very sort of tinny, clear top end. This was the first impression with one box done and only two minutes of listening.

*** Edit - Just had a look around online for the service manual for the F-1662. I couldn't find a free one. But I did find the F-1664. Apparently the only difference between these two units was the F-1662 is an analogue radio tuner unit, while the F-1664 is a digital tuner unit. The specifications indicate that while they use 2 x 20W output speakers, the units actually have an output of 2 x 7.5W into 4 ohms. That explains the loudness comparison. Might have to wire an 8 ohm x 10W resistor across the terminals just for the sake of direct comparison. The final set-up is going to be using a Sansui A5 integrated amplifier which is 2 x 25W into 8 ohms, so hopefully in the next couple of days I will be able to put the speakers through their paces ***

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 19:05 

Not quite finished yet but here we go.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 05 Feb 2013, 22:38 

cool !

PostPosted: 06 Feb 2013, 00:03 

The final couple of pics, so that they then end up like the pic that has the four drivers in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next