DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Sep 2020, 04:09

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2009, 21:47 

Folks -
I am a newbie with solid woodworking skills and a fully equipped woodshop.
My electrical knowledge hovers just above zero.
I can solder.
I need some help with selecting plans for a simple, but cool first DIY speaker project: a
set of full range speakers for a two channel office system.

My SYSTEM:
Bottlehead Foreplay (V.2) tube pre-amplifier
(2) Antique Sound Lab Wave 8 monoblock tube power amplifiers (about 10 watts each)
NAD tuner
Marantz CD player

The ENVIRONMENT:
loft office space
near field listening
speakers will be about five feet apart from each other
each speaker will be about 3.5 feet from my ear

CABINET:
I currently have some two way Axiom M3s: 13.5" h, 8.5 " wide, 7.75" deep, tapered cabinets.
They are nearly as big as I can fit in the space. (I like 'em, they just sound a tad bright, and I'd rather look at and listen to something I put together....)
Maybe I could go to 15-16" tall, but not much deeper.

DESIGN:
Simple on the electronics side
Bookshelf, bass reflex design
One full range driver (Fostex 206E or Audio Nirvana Super 8, cast frame is what I have in mind)
bass port design
I'll probably use 3/4" high quality (e.g., no voids) birch or maple or cherry plywood
I don't want to use a subwoofer
In my newbieness, I am thinking I need, at a minimum, .75 cubic feet of enclosure to get any
meaningful bass out of the above mentioned drivers?

COST:
Soup to nuts has to come in at $300, or less.

If any of your folks could point me to some plans, I would appreciate it.
If I order the drivers from www.commonsenseaudio.com, they will give me the plans of what are purportedly effective, if not entirely aesthetically inspired looking, cabinets. Perhaps that is the way to go, to get my feet wet?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Regards-Mawgie

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009, 00:23 
Editor

Hi Mawgie, welcome to the forum.

I can't speak much for the AN speakers, but there are many who have reported good results with them.

The FE206E are best suited for a horn enclosure. The FE207E would be a better choice for a ported design.

Getting satisfying bass from a bookshelf sized speaker may be tough.

Have you considered something bigger like this:
http://www.quarter-wave.com/Project05/Project05.html

Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009, 07:33 

Gio-

Floorstanding speakers are coming down the road.
For now, though, I need to start with the bookshelf size.
I do realize that satisfying bass is probably not going to be fully realized, but I have strict space limitations for this particular listening area.

Thanks for the input.

Regards-David

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009, 13:27 
Project Author

I have several diatribes related to my Audio Nirvana speakers. Love them. I thought recently that I needed more bass. I am still going with a sub because I have a driver for it, so why not, but since I added the Lightspeed Attenuator to my setup and removed the Alps pot, well I cant explain it but the bass is back :) I use the Super 12's but without the cast frame. They were on sale so I snagged them while I could. I am very very happy with these speakers.
You are entering full range world and are already not happy with how 'bright' your speakers are. Full Rangers tend to be bright on the top end. Check out that SPL graph on the AN Super 8. You get an extra 10db over midrange when you hit the higher frequencies. Thats loud. Just from an ear comparison I would bet my Fostex FE127E are a tad brighter, but I dont have AN8's to compare I just have the 12. The 12 was nice since it was not very bright and that was one complaint I had about the Fostex.
Some day I will get Gio to try the ANs ;) I have nothing but time.
So that said maybe you need a low pass filter that just clamps down on your highest frequencies on your Axioms.?..
If thats your only complaint. You could also boost the bass a bit with a low pass filter before your pre amp that allows more bass through than anything else then your pre amp will take the combined signal that has more bass than relative to the original signal and sends that along to your amp. ? Maybe an idea.
Ri

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009, 20:17 
Editor

Hey Ri, the AN will be a long way down the road. I will play with the FE206E in a BLH for a bit and then I want to try something different. Likely one of Zaphs designs.

Cheers

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2009, 21:26 

Thanks for the responses, guys. I left out a significant detail, by oversight. I need a booksheld, because my space for the speaker is on top of a large countertop style, built in desk. No feasible place for a floor standing speaker, or a huge bookshelf.

On the plus side, my wife came up to listen to the Axioms tonight, and I had to stand a ways back in the loft space to make room for her and our dog. As it turns out, a ways back produced good sound: nice image; particularly good midrange vocals. The bass is boomy and muddled up close at anything above very low volume, but much better when I am more than six feet back. I may not be able to beat the currently middling near field performance in this particularly mediocre space.

New Try: how about DIY micromonitor speakers with full range drivers, intended to pair with a subwoofer? (I have a Paradigm PDR 8.) This would free up some desk space, and perhaps give me some better placement alternatives to try and obtain better near field sound.

Thanks-Mawgie

PostPosted: 23 Jan 2009, 07:42 
Project Author

Yeah, I thought 3.5 ft was really close, but you had no choice so...
I wonder if its possible to use that sub farther toward the back of the room. You might try it as it might sound better than 3 ft away.
For you speakers:
I find Gio and I recommending this build a lot recently.
The drivers are SUPER cheap at PartsExpress
Ri

PostPosted: 24 Jan 2009, 09:53 

as a suggestion, google the " Solo 103 ", these will fit your space requirements, and give good response. Should be suitable for nearfield listening, of course ymmv.

John

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 12:03 

Hi, just caught your thread and thought my bass reflex fullrangers may be just what you need. I use mine in a nearfield position on my desk top and they are awesome. Fairly good bass for a small cabinet and without any tuning or wadding. 18mm mdf with slotted front port, I based them on a smaller unit by emil attlid and calculated the volume using winisd. I then made a calculated guess as to the size of the slotted port and they work great. I am using CSS FR125SR fullrange drivers. I will mod this post with a picture soon as.

PostPosted: 02 Feb 2009, 12:37 

Photos attached
Attachment:
CSS-FR125S-Bass-Reflex.jpg
Attachment:
CSS-FR125S-Bass-Reflex-Box.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.