DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Feb 2017, 06:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2012, 22:04 
Project Author

UPDATE - Project page: Fostex FE206En in Double Bass-Reflex Speaker Enclosure (17 September 2012).

Finally I am getting around to assembling these speakers. I have had the driver and boxes for a year or so. First image are the boxes then with the undercoat. I rolled the paint on after a light sanding. I want to get the stippled finish a roller can do so well. So as the paint was drying I ran the roller over the surfaces again and again.

The final coat will be black satin. Again with a roller. I wanted to paint them anything but black but the wife insisted. So the WAF should be 1000%!! Hope to put the top coat on later today and be listening to them tomorrow night. I have a 6EM7 amp (Paris) just waiting for some real efficient speakers. These will go in my 2 channel theater system with Paris and 46" LED screen plus 125W 12" sub-woofer.
Attachment:
P9041953.JPG
Attachment:
P9041954.JPG

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 04 Sep 2012, 01:15 
Project Author

Top coat is on. Sort of a dull or satin finish. I was after the stipple effect which it looks like I got it. Lots of semi-dry roller strokes. Picked up a big roll or poly- stuffing (Dacron) which will just line the top camber. The connecting wire will be double runs of wire-wrap wire silver soldered. I am yet to treat the magnet on the Fostex. They will get a layer of bitumanised heavy Al foil for deadening.

Attachment:
retro-F206.JPG

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2012, 08:13 
Project Author

Here is a bunch of images most which is self explanatory. I deaden the Fostex magnet (reflection from the back wall) with a layer of bitumanised Al foil. The scraps end up on top to. Take a look at the images while I relate first impressions. Only the top chamber has stuffing in it.

The KEF iQ30s held this position for a few months now at $1300 a pair. The Fostex boxes (what I have labeled rero-F206) absolutely kill the KEFs for realism and just sheer naturalness. I had to keep looking at the TV and gear to remind myself what I was listening to. The speakers are only hours old and I know the sound will just get better and better. I love the finish I got it was just how I envisaged it and the sound just puts a big smile right across my ugly head. I finally have my completed 2 Channel Theater system - complete. Paris is the 3.5W integrated amp below.

The reto-F206 has two strands of loosely twisted wire wrap wire for connecting wire on both the positive and negative within the boxes. All points are silver soldered. I also made up a pair of single lose strand wire wrap wire speaker leads with 0.4mm pure silver ends for binding. The 10" grills are held on with four "button" rare earth magnets.
Attachment:
Assemble_I.jpg
Attachment:
Assemble_II.jpg
Attachment:
Assemble_III.jpg
Attachment:
Finished_I.jpg
Attachment:
Finished_II.jpg
Attachment:
Finished_III.jpg

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2012, 08:38 
Project Author

The retro-F206 boxes at home.
Attachment:
Finished_IV.jpg

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2012, 12:24 
Editor

Hi Mark,
The build looks great. Did you do anything different with this build versus the FE206E double bass reflex speakers you built a while back? Also, are you noticing any driver improvements between the FE206E and FE206En?

Cheers

PostPosted: 05 Sep 2012, 17:19 
Project Author

Gio: This build was very similar to the first pair I made. The guy who does the boxes for me just rounded the edges at the top for me for a better appearance. I was always very impressed with the first pair which my son still has with the KT88 amp. I think why this pair sound so natural over the back loaded horns is because these boxes aren't as tall, you are not in direct line of the tweeter. And because the Fostex drivers can be a little shouty sitting above the tweeter (wizzer cone) height has removed this effect. I wasn't expecting such a great sound and they look super good.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 18:08 
Project Author

I moved the new boxes up to my main listening area but didn't like how they sounded. Then I remembered Gio said he toes them in to meet about 1m in front of him. I tried it and the difference was huge. The sound stage was wide and detailed and voices took on a deeper tone. Bass was only fair but the new retro-34UL amp does have supper deep bass anyway. More than enough bass to shake the floor from a 5W amp. I was playing classical so bass is balanced against the rest of the orchestra and not over done like in pop/rock.

I was very pleased with the result and from now on will toes these speakers in ever time. The difference is staggering.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2012, 21:16 
Editor

Hi Mark. As a starting point, toe-in the speakers about 30 degrees and then fine tune. Since you are not using a baffle step compensation circuit, also try pulling the speakers closer to the wall.

Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 05:08 
Project Author

Gio: The baffle is 10.75" across and what else can I tell you? Give me a BSC cct. and I'll give it a go-Ta. BUT I have read where others have pulled these ccts. out because they suppress dynamics. One thing I really, really love about the retro-F206s is the extreme dynamics of these drivers/speakers. Let's give it a go.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2012, 16:56 

mwhouston wrote:
I moved the new boxes up to my main listening area but didn't like how they sounded. Then I remembered Gio said he toes them in to meet about 1m in front of him. I tried it and the difference was huge. The sound stage was wide and detailed and voices took on a deeper tone. Bass was only fair but the new retro-34UL amp does have supper deep bass anyway. More than enough bass to shake the floor from a 5W amp. I was playing classical so bass is balanced against the rest of the orchestra and not over done like in pop/rock.

I was very pleased with the result and from now on will toes these speakers in ever time. The difference is staggering.

Thanks for the tip about the toe in at 1m, I will try it. I have the same drivers but in a MLTL. With a BSC everything is good but the bass is far from shaking the floor. Maybe I have a bad synergy between spkrs and amps.

Rgds,
Iso

DIY Pre-Amp : MooseFET.
To come : MLTL (CSS enabled EL70) + more tube amp...