DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 25 Aug 2019, 03:07

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 09:34 
Editor

Well, these will not match up to what Gary has done with his pair but this is where I am at with my Jordan JX92S fullrange drivers thus far. I know the shiny screws stick out like a sore thumb, but I did not have anything in black on hand at the time. :)
Attachment:
Jordan-JX92S-Sealed-Enclosure.jpg

As you can see, I have not done that much. I have basically just dropped them into a parts express prefabricated speaker cabinet. The enclosure volume is 0.25 ft^3. This is my first time using a router and I actually managed to flush mount the driver!

Below is the temporary (emphasis on temporary) Baffle Step Compensation Circuit (BSC).
Attachment:
temporary-BSC.jpg

This is a very impressive driver. The all metal cone made for a sound I was not used to. Everyone who has heard the Jordan JX92S has preferred it over my pair of Fostex FX120 fullrange drivers. I have not yet decided which one I prefer. :) Note that the Jordan JX92S is almost double the price of the Fostex FX120.

The Jordan has a huge Xmax (for a fullrange driver) and can go deep.

Next steps, measure frequency response and then convert it to an aperiodic enclosure. After that, I think I will try these in a bookshelf sized bass reflex. Stay tuned.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 09:55 
Project Author

Nice work Gio!

For a first time router job they look great. I'd hate to show you the results of my first router project, YIKES!

How long do you think these drivers need for breakin?

Gary

Jordan JX92S DIY Tower Speakers

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 15:57 
Editor

I gave mine 20Hz and at reasonable voltage for about 8 hours. That seemed to do the trick.

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2008, 18:13 
Editor

I got a chance to make some measurements and put up a short page. DIY Jordan JX92S Sealed Bookshelf Speakers. The measured frequency response is attached below.
Attachment:
Jordan-JX92S-Measured-Frequency-Response.png
It is a shame to keep these in a sealed box as they can move some air.

Next I think I will try convert the box into an aperiodic enclosure. It will be interesting to see how much bottom aperiodic will add.

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 06 Jul 2008, 14:37 

"It is a shame to keep these in a sealed box as they can move some air. "

right, to get bass I prefer the TUBA bass horn, no filter:

but the new double horn, KORNETT is only half of the size and
cheaper but bettter soundstage and tighter bass:

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2008, 18:45 
Project Author

Gio,
Nice writeup man!
Ri

PostPosted: 07 Jul 2008, 22:55 
Editor

Thanks Ri.

Horst,
What do you think of the JX92S in comparison to fullrange drivers you have tried?

Cheers.

PostPosted: 08 Jul 2008, 09:46 

Hello,
the JX92S is as a n single driver one of the best, TUBA, if you sit in the
sweet spot, but too expensive, i know the prizes until 1984.

The Kornett, as i wrote, half the size, better tighter bass and if you move
in your room much better soundstage, much cheaper.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 19:49 

Here are my Jordans...I used a much smaller box, 5.2l I do believe was the final number.

Note the similar taste in screws :eek:

I use mine with no bafflestep whatsoever, do you find it helps? These have been my main 2ch speakers for 2 years now and I have not found them lacking.

I am thinking of adding the Aurum Cantis ribbon tweeter though as it is supposed to just bring them up to a ridiculous level.

After refinishing mine in camphor burl I had to finish my amp in the same veneer.

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2008, 22:42 
Project Author

The Burl looks surreal. I like it.