DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Oct 2020, 04:57

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 03:26 
Project Author

Mate you are giving me some good info. here. Can I ask you to give me a step-by-step instruction on how to paint my boxes and what to use where and when, I'm sure a lot of others would be very interested. Also please give us sand paper grades and when to use what and how.

I'm asking a lot but you could advance the finish of many a speaker boxes with some simple instruction.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 03:52 

yep. you bet. i am flying a bit blind here though.
my research mark, netted me these links, they talk about however getting the end finish, gloss, but, not the product they laid on/down to get there in the first place. that seems to be black voodoo magic.
stay tuned, got some pics to put up already

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 05:27 

OK. works like this. the polyfilla is called final coat. its used under gloss paint and can be used on wood, plaster, etc. probably wouldn't use it on steel but hey.
as the screws are pretty much countersunk (ie: their heads are beneathe the wood), fill the holes they have left. furthermore, using a spatula / trowel, fill the ends of the chipboard, by, trowelling it on, and, making it as smooth as possible. remember you have to sand this stuff later on.

don't forget in here either

i am going to start knocking this back tomorrow with 120 grit paper, to get a smooth(ish) finish. we will then see the result. if it is good, then will move up to 600 grit, to make smoother again.
(in another incarnation, the last car i painted, i used 40grit to bare metal, etch prime the bare metal, then, 600 grit the etch prime to lay on primer, knock that back with 800 grit to ensure smooth, and, from there, move on to final coats. final coats were typically knocked back with 1200grit and more coats laid on, furthered by 6-7 coats of clear.

as an example, here we go (with chipboard)

this first pic, shows two bits of chipboard, screwed together. on top of the chipboard and the edges, is good old automotive bog. yes, the same shit found on car panels - i kid you not. nothing special here - just plain old polyester (not the fibreglass or metal kahfill stuff - plain old smelly polyester). that was knocked back with 120 grit on my rotary disc sander, to smoothe even finish, then hit with hy-fill - a thick coat and left to dry. the hy-fill was then knocked back with 400 grit (next time used 600 grit) to provide a smoothe finish.

this, believe it or not, is steel wheels (in a can) paint, actually the can is next to it for proof. the gloss on that was nothing short of bloody amazing. with a couple of coats of clear i reckon that would come up really well - will see tomorrow and report back in.

i hope my adventures shed some light on what can be done here

oh - one more thing, before i forget - there is this paint - called POR15 made by PPG. it is TRULY amazing stuff. you brush this stuff on, it dries gloss, but no streaks, NOTHING. i reckon that would work awesomely, however, its hideously expensive.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 05:52 
Project Author

POR15: where do I get it and what is needed in preperation.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 15:27 

mark most automotive paint shops sell it. autobarn might also - um, its typically used as a rust preventative on cars.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 16:14 
Project Author

Grega wrote:
mark most automotive paint shops sell it. autobarn might also - um, its typically used as a rust preventative on cars.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2011, 05:24 

120 grit on the sander reaps results, the polyfilla works
i will prime a bit tomorrow on the edge with the polyfilla and report in. i suspect another layer of polyfilla may be required just to fill any divots created by sanding, but otherwise, appears good

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2011, 19:36 

another suggested paint is the paint used on factory/workshop floors. gloss and, VERY hard wearing.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2011, 05:32 

bit of progress tonight, brisvegas tomorrow so up for an early redeye tomorrow :(

sanding sanding sanding

sanding

sanding - inside.

sanding driver panel

now for some fun. painting - priming actually

inside - yes i've not done the bottom

mmmm primed

and more

and more

note its rough ; few things to do
1. sand with 400-600 i suspect to get the lines out of the primer. primer applied with brush
2. couple of screws are too high. so will be digging out the primer, and filler, and sinking them further.
3. there are a few bits of the edge of the chipboard - which are showing up. i suspect paint would fill them, but will hit with some more filler, and, prime again
4. prime the inside.

still undecided whether to roll the final or spray. i have all the spray gear, but have to thin with turps, and it will be messier than using car acrylic.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2011, 05:41 

not much progress. work had me in brisvegas and sydaney this week. sigh
i have done a bit of sanding and hit it with some hi fill to try and smooth things out
audio show tomorrow at the mariott should be interesting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next