DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 24 Oct 2020, 03:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 05:43 

right, now for the last installment - finishing off

i start by sorting out the other side. so lay the cabinet down on the side already done, with the side that needs putting on, lay it down and put a locating screw in the top left and bottom right (so diagonal corners).

on the underside, trace all components (what you can) - to give you an idea of where the wood is that you need to screw into

undo the screws, and flip it over, finish off where the underside pieces of wood are so you know what you're drilling, and drill your screw pilot holes

apply glue to all the bits you need to, lay down the piece of wood (side) and fit the screws original in the top left and bottom right (diagonal to locate) locate your screws and get ready to drive them home

when all the screws are in, flip it over, and apply glue, LOTS of glue where you can. its hard. kids help here - they have smaller arms :)

and more glue

time to fit the back of the speaker, easy, apply glue, slide the wood in place, and screw into place. don't forget the bottom (underside)

remember to secure the chamber top support

time to put the top on

and time to put the base bits on

and thats all folks. its done. well - from a woodworking perspective. now to figure out the finish, install the speaker, oh, gotta get some dynamat squares for behind the fe206en'

i hope you enjoy this photo blog and it helps someone on their cause, any questions, ask away :)

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 05:49 

oh, some stats
2 drills - both batteries still charged :) although the one for all the screwing is about flat
1 bottle of selleys aquadhere - 500ml
~150 x 40mm wood screws, ~16 x 50mm wood screws, ~16 x 20mm wood screws
~50 x 40mm nails

the first speaker took the longest to build - cutting the wood and building it took 2 days (off and on)
building the second, the wood took 2 hours to cut with the new battery powered circular saw and about 10 hours to assemble (nights after work)

what would i do different - i'd get the wood pre-cut and simply assemble - not sure how much that would cost, although, after my friend saw them he now wants a pair also.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 06:52 
Project Author

For Gods sake I hope you are either a cabinet maker, builder or extremely experienced with timber. And built at least one speaker enclosure in the past. You have pick one of the most difficult enclosures to build. I have a pair of these speakers my father-in-law built the enclosures for. Looks good so far.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 17:26 

Quote:
For Gods sake I hope you are either a cabinet maker, builder or extremely experienced with timber.

I'm a IT guy Mark - am pretty handy though - graduated from the old school of common sense.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 17:46 
Project Author

Grega wrote:
Quote:
For Gods sake I hope you are either a cabinet maker, builder or extremely experienced with timber.

I'm a IT guy Mark - am pretty handy though - graduated from the old school of common sense.

I'm an IT guy too and have been building speakers for 40 years. But my wood work skills are basic. I built my son the two bass chamber boxes to go with a SE KT88 tube amp I built him. You would be amazed how good the combo was. Stacks of bass and lots of punch. I'm building another pair of the two chambers. Just have to paint and throw in the drivers.
Attachment:
FostexGrillS.jpg
Attachment:
KitAmpTopSmall.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 20:30 

Hehehehe. I also weld, build car engines, plaster, paint, anyways.
I used to build speakers with a flat mate years ago (back in the days of Tandy and Mach-2's) - we built some wierd stuff - like a speaker coffee table :)

I was going to build the bass reflex boxes but I like a challenge :) and boy did i get one. Needless to say they are built.
I've also tried some car body filler and some hi-fill to see how that goes to smooth off the edges of the chipboard - which has worked quite well - a couple of coats of hi fill and then primer and i will hit with some paint to see how we go - then clear coat accordingly. i also want to stop by the paint shop and see what they can offer.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 20:57 
Project Author

Grega wrote:
Hehehehe. I also weld, build car engines, plaster, paint, anyways.
I used to build speakers with a flat mate years ago (back in the days of Tandy and Mach-2's) - we built some wierd stuff - like a speaker coffee table :)

I was going to build the bass reflex boxes but I like a challenge :) and boy did i get one. Needless to say they are built.
I've also tried some car body filler and some hi-fill to see how that goes to smooth off the edges of the chipboard - which has worked quite well - a couple of coats of hi fill and then primer and i will hit with some paint to see how we go - then clear coat accordingly. i also want to stop by the paint shop and see what they can offer.

I'll wait and see your boxes. I may get you to do mine for a small fee. My paint skills on MDF are worse than my wood work skills.

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2011, 23:36 

I just rang the local paint place - am going to go pay them a visit as they reckon they can help. We will see.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 02:27 
Project Author

Grega wrote:
I just rang the local paint place - am going to go pay them a visit as they reckon they can help. We will see.

Keep me informed.

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2011, 02:45 

mark.
haymes 'high gloss enamel' paint - yes - the old school oil based paint. wash up in turps. remember that stuff - back in the 70's when i was a kid i had phenergan (you can still get the shit) lead based paint on my cot and oil based paint on my skirtingboard (now know as architrave as skirtingboard doesn't sound cool enough) its between 85-95% gloss. it will be rolled on with a fine roller as opposed to a brush
polyfilla for the 'wood' edges - and 120grit to sand smoothe
i have a tin of acrylic primer - to 'seal' the wood and go over the polyfilla when its sanded/cured also.
i also got a few sheets of no name brand 'dynamat' which is 2mm thick. its the same bitumen/foil shit they used to put between stumps and your joists to stop the damp, but 30 billion times the price. sigh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next