DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Sep 2020, 03:56

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2009, 13:11 
Editor

Hi Pete, did you use the FE103 or the newer FE103E?
Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Feb 2009, 18:29 

Gio, g'day, I was given a pair of the old brown 103s with the ceramic magnet and being a novice, didn't know what they were. The blokes over at planet 10 identified them and recommended the solo or a fonken. I did have a photo somewhere, but it seems to have taken leave. I like the solo idea, so built a similar box for the FE83E. I particularly like the way the box is braced. I think that slotted ports are a better visual solution than a tube. It's 7l and the slots are not divided. That's it on the desk the other is the Bryn Chang by planet 10 using the FE126E.
Attachment:
spks-w.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009, 10:37 
Editor

Nice. How do you like the Bryn with FE126E?

PostPosted: 28 Feb 2009, 20:41 

G'day Gio,
I love the 126 in the Bryn. Chrisb at the other forum has said that I should use the 127 to make best use of the Bryn. I run them with 3.3 R in series and really, they are superb. I thought that they would be a bit bass shy but they produce all of the lower end that I need, and of course the mids and highs are truly elegant and detailed without any shout. The Saburo is by all accounts the perfect solution for the 126. I had a senior Engineer from the Australian Broadcasting Commission over for a listen, and they impressed him mightily. I'm the one who uses them so ultimately the final judgment is mine, and I think they are splendid.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2009, 11:47 
Editor

If you are considering trying more of the small Fostex drivers, take a look at the Fostex FX120. It is a little more than double in price relative to the FE127E, but I am really enjoying this driver and I think it is worth the extra cost.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 06:25 

I've always been impressed with your black FX120s, and want to do something similar. I think they will make very good nearfields for a project studio. The pricing here in Australia is something of a nightmare at present.FE127=$85, FX120=2$00, Jordan JX92S=$265. 6 months ago those prices were half of that although the Jordans always seem to be somewhere between 2 and 3 hundred. Luckily I got the 83s and 126s when they were both under $40. I think the 83s were under $30.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2009, 08:13 
Editor

The FX120 is my favorite of the Fostex drivers. The JX92S is also very good. Tubes I would go FX120, solid state or chip amp I would lean towards the JX92S. The JX92S can actually deliver some reasonable bass. Yes, both of the drivers are not cheap and if you are using solid state or chip amp there are some decent 2-way designs that come in for the same price that can offer more bottom, top and offaxis, that is provided an XO does not offend! :)
Cheers

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2009, 00:21 

G'day Gio,
You've got me thinking about 2 ways now. I've got no objections to crossovers. None at all. Have you got any suggestions? I can get HiVi, TB and Vifa, Peerless and Scanspeak. I think the Scanspeaks are beyond my pocket.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2009, 00:14 
Editor

I have not tired these, but the look interesting: Swans Tempus Bookshelf Speakers by HiVi Research

Zaph has a bunch of great two way designs on his site: http://zaphaudio.com

Cheers