DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 23 Sep 2020, 14:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 13:06 

Here are some pictures of my drivers. Sorry some are side ways. I wondered if they sound close to the fostex drivers since foster is fostex's sister company? I would love to put them in a horn box like ed or at the hornshoppe and get 105 db out of them if possible. Also I will be using them for live t.v. not to much my bible on cd, movies and backround music. I these are for my wife. I would like to wow my friends that ahve bose and other speakers and bring them into the fullrange speaker light.
Attachment:
jeff1.jpg
Attachment:
jeff2.jpg
Attachment:
jeff3.jpg

P.s. Are these driver worth their weight in sound or should I sell them to get something up to date or trade them? Please let me know. Cheers jeff

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 14:18 
Editor

Well those sure are in very good shape. They often sell for $75 to $100 on eBay. 105dB seems like a very optimistic target, but there have been people who have tried them in a Buschhorn enclosure. Regardless, I think these will need LF help. With a sub they will sound much better than the small Bose cubes.

Have you given them a good listen?

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 16:09 

Yes I did listen to them for a 1 minute or so to see if each worked well. Yes they are in good shape. :up: Should I sell them and get a newer 4 1/2 inch fostex? I was looking at the ff 125 speakers. The ff seires 6 1/2 was a very awesome sounding speakers :D in the bk-16 kit from madisound. Now will they reach near 20 khz or will they need tweeter help as well? Thanks god bless. Cheers jeff

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 18:50 
Editor

Hi Jeff,
My :2c:, if you will be using these speakers with some low frequency augmentation, I would hang on to them. However, if your desire is to have a small stand alone speaker, I would consider the Fostex FE127E driver which is also shielded.

I have not tired the FF125, but I found that the similar metal dustcap on the Fostex FX120 driver made for a much more pleasant high end in comparison to the FE127E.
Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 18:58 

Can I list them on your web site? I would love to use a fullrange driver as a stand alone just because it would make it easyer on me. Cheers and god bless jeff.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 19:30 
Editor

Hi Jeff. Right now we don't have a for sale section and since this forum is not high traffic I don't see much point in listing them here. There are better (higher traffic) places to sell the drivers. eBay would be a good place to list them. Sometimes I have seen them go for over $100. Another selling alternative would be the diyAudio.com forums which are very busy.

Another option would be to try them in the Buschhorn enclosure. If you don't like them, you could then sell them and drop in a pair of Fostex FE103E drivers. You could also take the same approach with the Zigmahornet speakers.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 20:29 

Good idea. I will think about if I want to make a box or not? Also this is a nice forum. :up: Keep it up and talk to you all later. Cheers and god bless jeff. :D

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 09:46 

Here's a much built box for the 103. Have a look and a read. all the best.
http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Solo103.html

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 13:06 
Editor

hi Pete,
The solo 103 is a great looking design which if I am not mistaken somewhat inspired the planet10 fonken designs.

Welcome to the forum,
Gio.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2009, 21:59 

G'day Gio, Thanks for the welcome.
G'day Jeff, I built a set of those Solo 103 boxes. With a sub crossed at 120 Hz or thereabouts they are wonderful for small group music. I can recommend them, but have a look at the Fonkens too. Why not build both? Wouldn't cost much.