DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 02:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 19:29 

Hello and I want to thank the head man here. Cheers to you. :up: Now I have a pair of older Fostex FE103's with alnico magnets. They have no mods to them at all. Not even solder done. Well what is the best box I can put them in to get the most out of theses drivers? I would like to use them for front channels then in the future use a surrounds.What is the best box I can build for them and the best wire I can use to get the most out of them? Thanks for everyones help. :?: Jeff.

P.s. I got them as a gift from a friend. :up: He is waiting for me to do something with these drivers before the audio show in april 2009. :?:

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 19:40 

Jeff,

Welcome, the speakers guys will be here shortly with lots of suggestions and thoughts. Have you done any other DIY or speaker projects previous to this. We love pictures here.

Look around a post away.

Happy New Year

Alan

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 19:58 
Project Author

I would check out this guys site. His name is Dave Dlugos and he runs I think 3 different speaker sites. He uses a lot of Fostex and a few designs are centered around your driver.
http://www.planet10-hifi.com/boxes-fostex.html
Less than halfway down the page are 3 designs for you to think about.
Uriah

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 20:17 

Why yes. I have had Fostex FE206E drivers in a open baffle 4 years ago not a good idea with an open baffle to peaky for me. I have had the css 125w fullrange drivers. Sounded to flat for me :down: I have had Tang Bands (titium if I spelled that right) speakers. Sounded flat as well. I also had the gaxley audios neo 5's and could not cross them over were I wanted to but, had scary vocals. I heard the singer take a breath before she sang. :up: I have had the dayton's 5 inch alum. fullrange drivers very nice souneding and built very well. I have also had mcm's 5 inch music studio speakers nice. I have seen better built drivers. I have had the br3 from hi-vi research very nicely built and sounding as well.I have had the moth audio drivers and sold them due to the lack of plains from the company refused to give them to me. I have had alot of mainstreem speakers before I did diy and found out I enjoyed fullrange drivers. I first heard my fullrange driver at a local hi-fi shop now going out of busniess. It was the moth audios speaker and fell in love with them. I have had the fe 167s and returned them due to no time to build the cabnets.I bought the onkeyo 3 1/2 drivers on madisound right now for $3.50 each very nice for the money. :up: I have also have the audio narvina super 8's 3 of them for front channel. I was burning them in and I heard a rattle and sold them. Had some bose fullrange drivers they were poly. o.k sounding. Sony fullrange driver for center channel tried to get another one. Quit makeing them. Ads fullrange drivers. OOO my fav. is the 3"inch aura sound fullrange drivers. I bought 5 pairs of them and ruined them by putting the wet look on them from parts express. OOO that hurt because they quit makeing them after I bought them. A paper cone with a phase plug. It was o.k in the music but paired with an 8" inch woofer at 1,000 hz sound very scary in my video and movies. It sounded the most detail of any tweeter
I have ever heard. I have hear alot of them the last 20 + years.They did change in sound over 150 hours of burn in and sound alwsome. I also built a pair of towers for my dad 4 to 5 years ago. They used a sea's soft dome between $45.00 and $55.00 dollars each. I got them on sale for $29.00 each. Also I used a silver flute woofers 6 1/2 woofers and the caps were aot of money. I used 15 plywood and a put a sealed sand trap at the top of the box and the bottom of the box. Rear ported. They sound amazing. Well I think that is it without going into alot of my other speakers. These fe103's are a trade from a friend anda I want the most out of them even if I need to add a subwoofer later. Sorry suck a long post you asked and I told you. Cheers jeff.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 20:22 

Yes I have e-mailed him. very nice guy. He help me out a little. Cheers jeff

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 21:48 
Project Author

Jeff,
Next time I am going to do full range I think I know who to ask! :P
Wow you have been around the block with the full rangers.
How did you like the Silver Flutes?
Ri

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 22:13 

Well yes I have been around the block :) but, did not build the boxes I wanted too but, got a little smarter while doing this fullrange driver thing. There are alot of diyers howknow more and have more wisdom then me. :D

Yes the silver flute is a very well made drivers and yes my wife likes them so much she wants me to build her a pair of them. Also the silver flutes are cast frame drivers and the wool/paper is cool to look at. It has a warm sound to them. They also have a very good xmax.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 23:07 
Editor

jeff m wrote:
Hello and I want to thank the head man here. Cheers to you. :up: Now I have a pair of older Fostex FE103's with alnico magnets.

Hi Jeff, great to have you aboard.
Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the drivers. I am getting the impression that they are Foster 10F3 like these:
and not Fostex FE103.

I also did not have any good luck with the CSS FR125S or CSS FR125SR Fullrange Drivers. I did not care for the FR125S that I heard in a small bass reflex box. Then I won a pair of a the FR125SR which seemed to suffer from quality control issues. I have been playing with this Dayton Audio RS100S-8 Fullrange Speaker Driver and it is showing a lot of real potential. I think it is a steal at $27.

The Fostex FE206E speaker driver is peaky .. I don't think it was the result of of it being in an open baffle. I like it best when used with an aggressive Baffle Step Correction Circuit.

Cheers,
Gio

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 10:30 

Yes that is them. Are they a good driver? I saw on the T.L. website. I thought they were fosters copy of the fe103 speakers? They are in great shape. :up:
gmilitano wrote:
Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the drivers. I am getting the impression that they are Foster 10F3 like these:
and not Fostex FE103.

How do I post pictures here? The fullrange driver forum would not let me and james never e-mailed me back on how to go about it. Cheers jeff

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 11:23 
Editor

jeff m wrote:
Yes that is them. Are they a good driver? I saw on the T.L. website. I thought they were fosters copy of the fe103 speakers? They are in great shape. :up:

Hi Jeff, those are well regarded. I got a chance to hear a 10F3 version on an OB + 10 or 12" pro audio LF driver + a small tweeter. Very very nice through midrange. That seemed like a good application of the drivers as they need help on the bottom.

Take a look at these links for ideas and info:
  1. http://www.t-linespeakers.org/drivers/tunnelreflex/
  2. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=632883#post632883
  3. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=593815#post593815
  4. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1639776#post1639776

Ideally you will want to check the T/S parameters of your drivers. If you can't, in 2 and 4 Dave notes that Qts~0.42 and Fs ranged from 75 to 180 Hz, but typical 90 to 105Hz.

Given that Fs, these will need low frequency support. What size of enclosure were you thinking?

jeff m wrote:
How do I post pictures here? The fullrange driver forum would not let me and james never e-mailed me back on how to go about it.

When you are typing a message, right below the Preview / Submit / Save / Cancel buttons you will see "Upload attachment". Just "browse: and select a file, then hit "add the file". Photos need to be less than 250kB.
Cheers