DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Dec 2014, 04:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2011, 22:19 

It's me again. I purchased a pair of Tympany 2" drivers from parts express for $5 a piece.
Here are the specs.
Specifications: *Power handling: 10 watts RMS/20 watts max *VCdia: 13/16" *Le: 0.12 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 7.1 ohms *Frequency response: 148-20,000 Hz *Fs: 148 Hz *SPL: 83.7 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 0.008 cu. ft. *Qms: 3.4 *Qes: 0.54 *Qts: 0.46 *Xmax: 1.45 mm *Dimensions: A: 2-5/8", B: 2", C: 1-3/8".

Based on some of the reviews, folks have been getting good results mounting this to the end of a 2 foot pvc pipe.... But I would like something a bit more aesthetically pleasing than that. I was looking into possibly building a mass loaded transmission line box for them and thus keeping up with the quarter wave pipe theory that seems to work well... but I honestly don't know anything about how to calculate what dimensions everything should be. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2011, 19:23 
Editor

For MLTL speakers, check out Martin's site: http://www.quarter-wave.com/

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Sep 2011, 17:29 

Any reason this wouldn't work?
Box is 13 x 3.5 x 4 inches

PostPosted: 06 Sep 2011, 11:56 

I built them as per the plans. They sound OK. They play pretty low, maybe 120Hz, but they have no punch. Also they seem a bit shouty, probably easily fixed with a bsc. Sound best from about 10 feet away, so they won't work for desktop monitors, but would work well just to have some noise in the garage or something. All in all, not bad for $10.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2011, 12:08 
Editor

Fs is about 150Hz so about 120Hz ain't bad. Mate them up with a sub and you are off!

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2011, 09:28 

I painted them and mated them up with a little altec lansing sub/amp for a PC 2.1 system. It is nice for the speakers as it cuts them off at about 100hz. However the sub is a bit boomy. I'll probably steal the amp section out of it and build my own sub. Quick question though.The amp doesn't have a volume knob so I have to control the volume with the source. While this works OK, It would be handy to have a physical knob. Can I just put in a potentiometer inline between the source and amp?

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2011, 14:14 
Project Author

You should be able to put a pot between sourse and sub amp. As long as the signal level is low and any current draw very low. 10K pot should work. I must say they are the smallest loaded speakers I have ever seen.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2012, 20:03 

I also ordered some small tang bang speakers (3") full range. I will be building a box similar to these. I am just setting them up in the garage, so not to picky about the sound input. $20 for a pair can beat it for a beat around set. I'll post up some picks when I finish. :up: