DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 01:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 11:33 

I am looking for your advice on a good first, small inexpensive speaker project. I had considered the DelSol project but I see that the drivers are now discoed. As this would be my first audio project (and first wiring project), I'd like to know if you can recommend any other similar speaker.

I will likely make two pairs if the first goes well. These would be trial speakers to see what I am able to do. From there, I hope to progress to larger, more accurate speakers as time goes by.

The room, a large section of my basement, is about 12' x25' sheathed in drywall, ceiling tiles, and hard laminate. Think of an L shape with the long part of the L the room I use. More construction is to follow once we have decided exactly what to do.

I plan to use them for watching movies with an older, lower powered Akai receiver. I use a projector to create a screen about 4' x 10' on one wall. Not perfect but I like it a lot more than going to the movie theatre.

As I say, they will be trial speakers. If they work well, they will become surrounds or go into the shop once something better is built.

Thanks for any advice or links you might have for me.

Wes

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 18:12 
Project Author

Wes,
Head over HERE and see what Gio suggested. I think they are good suggestions for you as well.
Ri

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 19:06 

RiGuy

Thanks for that suggestion but it's a bit out of my expected budget. I am hoping (hoping, I say) to spend somewhere around $200 or so on the first set. Once I see what sort of product I can produce, then I will go from there. A simple, inexpensive learner build is all that I am looking for even if it means being sonically imperfect for the room they are going in.

I'm from Canada as well if it makes any sort of recommendation difference parts wise.

Wes

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 19:31 
Project Author

Gotcha. In that case, lets head back to Zaph Audio and find a very inexpensive project that is very easy, sounds great and once you are done with it you can use it for surrounds. Here is one. I would recommend taking a little peak through all of Zaph's designs. Also you might want to check out Gio's bipole FE127E speakers. Gio's will cost you $180 for the 4 drivers and then you need some wood and jacks, but pretty close to your budget.
Ri

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2009, 20:14 

RiGuy,

That's more of what I was looking for. I am looking through the Zaph site right now. Looks like I am going to have some wiring questions too.

Wes

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2009, 19:37 

Hello I am new here but, did you look at the Parts Express Dayton BR-1S Shielded 6-1/2" 2-Way Monitor Kit? I hope this helps you out. Also saves you $50.00. I thought shipping was free over $100.00 if they still have that deal. Cheers jeff

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 18:14 

Jeff,

No I hadn't looked at that. I am completely new to this whole world of diy audio so each day brings more information than I can possibly take in.

I am looking to build from scratch (have to have some way of justifying all of my woodworking tools, don't you know). I am looking forward to putting something together that I can point to and say, "Yep, I built it myself." There's not many things you can do that with nowadays.

Thanks very much for the suggestion though. Looks like a nice little kit to be sure.

Wes

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 18:43 

You are welcome. That kit I have always wanted but, funds are short again bumber. :down: I would use it down in my basement for listening to the radio. Like jazz and classial and blues and our own public radio station up dates. By the way madisound use to sell a kit called the sluge hammer? I think it is no longer made but, could give them a call. I think it is still around $160.00 for the whole kit or so. Cheers god bless jeff

P.s I have a a set of classic fullrange drivers 4 inch. I am asking $100.00 for the pair and shipping is in the price. In the united states only. I want them to go to a good home. Cheers and god bless. jeff

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 13:21 

Jeff,

The drivers sound interesting but I'd have no idea how to go about designing a box to enclose them. I know there is a program that allows you to design speakers but I am guessing that it is more or less an art form to make them sound really good. I'd like to stick to something that has worked before.

Wes

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 13:28 

That is cool I thought I would give it a try any who. By the way the parts express Br--1 kits are now sale at partsexpress.com. The part numbers are.

#300-640 unshielded

#300-642 Shielded $10.00 more.

Just to give you a heads up. Alot of diyes have use this kit. It takes 1 hour or less to build this diy kit. God bless and cheers jeff

P.s. Here is link to the Fe -164 6 1/2 fullrange drivers project. It was in audioxpress magazine in 06-03 and it is up on fostexs web site.
Heres the link. http://www.pmillett.com/ax_fullrange.htm
God bless and cheers jeff