DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 May 2019, 18:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 00:24 

Hello everyone! Brand new here! Looking to do my first real DIY speaker project!

I got lucky at the PartsExpress tent sale and picked up a new-in-box Tang Band W8-1772 FR driver for a steal of a deal. Another member here sold me his spare so I will have a pair.

A buddy told me he can get scrap marble from a kitchen remodeler for cheap and can have them cut it any way I want, including cutouts for the drivers.

What if the baffle were made of 1/2 to 3/4" thick marble that is enclosed by a high quality MDF? My thought is the baffle would not vibrate at all.

Good idea or just a gimmick?

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 00:57 
Editor

Hi MasonDad, welcome to the forum. Nice score with the W8-1772!

A dense and heavy speaker enclosure is usually a good thing. ;) Take a look at the DIY Granite Rock Speakers (with Seas drivers) project page for some building ideas. Also, don't forget to brace the enclosure as well.

So do you know what enclosure were you planning on building?

Cheers

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 16:58 

Well, if I knew what I was doing, I'd let you know!

I am going to scrap the idea of using granite for now and see if I can retrofit a current pair of speakers or ? This "project" was not planned but when I had the chance to get one of these for a small investment, I had to take it!

PostPosted: 11 Jul 2011, 18:13 

MasonDad wrote:
Well, if I knew what I was doing, I'd let you know!

I am going to scrap the idea of using granite for now and see if I can retrofit a current pair of speakers or ? This "project" was not planned but when I had the chance to get one of these for a small investment, I had to take it!

The Tang Band W8-1772 is a very high performance FR driver. Mine go low, into the 30's, with great mid-range and a strong treble. You will most likely have to assemble a BSC (Baffle Step Compensation) circuit to compensate for the strong treble. The calculator is on this site.

I've seen many different materials used for speaker enclosures. The most common is 3/4" MDF, which is inexpensive and readily available. You can use pre-cut shelving that comes in a variety of widths. That would save you some work having to cut them into planks. You would still have to cut the correct lengths. But the cuts would be short.

Gluing, screwing the pieces isn't too difficult of a job. Speaker enclosures need to be braced to dampen any resonances.

I used a solid wood enclosure made of 3/4" pre-cut planks that is braced. I haven't noticed any resonances.

There are plans available for FR speaker designs. I built mine based on comments, measurements and reviews on the W8-1772 posted by Bob Brines. Bob sells plans, pre-cut flats that are pre-drilled for assembly, and full assembled enclosures.

Bob regards the W8-1772 highly. His site is a good resource.

http://brinesacoustics.com/

Good luck to you...jim

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 16:04 

Jim, does anyone use an "Open Baffle" with drivers like the Tang-Band W8-1772?

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 17:24 

MasonDad wrote:

The W8-1772 is not designed for open baffle or very large enclosures. The Tang Band W8-1808 (same price and look)incorporates a higher Qts for large or open enclosures.

PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011, 23:33 

Jim, I was wondering what the difference is between the two.

Anyway, I cannot wait to get the FR driver from you...

Thanks again!

-Phil

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 00:30 
Editor

Hi Phil,

You are likely looking at some sort of ported enclosure. What size of speakers are you looking for - floor standers or bookshelf?

For more ideas, take a look at these threads:

Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 00:47 

Floorstanders or a "Tweener" to put on my Target stands that are sitting around doing nothing...like my teen daughters on summer break!

PostPosted: 13 Jul 2011, 20:46 

MasonDad wrote:

Here is an OB design using the W8-1808 drivers.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=96082.0

With a slight adjustment to the crossover this concept should also work well for the W8-1772 drivers.