DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 23:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 22:20 

RiGuy wrote:
Well, you could just build a 8cubic foot box and pop it in. I think you could do that with one piece of plywood.

Or I could spend $2500 on a 12 pi basshorn subwoofer. I don't think either of those will fly with my wife.

Alan

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 10:34 
Editor

That driver will go deep, but it wants a large enclosure.
How big were going to go Ri?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 11:15 

gmilitano wrote:
That driver will go deep, but it wants a large enclosure.

Gio,

Part of what I find confusing with this driver is:
    1. The Apex site says a ported box and all the tools say sealed?
    2. Apex says relatively small ported box. 1.75 to 2.5 Cubic ft
    3. WinISD even when using ported indicates a much bigger enclosure

Do you have thoughts? I really like the price. It fits with the starving student situation I have going on.

Alan

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 12:29 
Editor

Hi Alan, don't worry about the optimum size that the software gives you. Just pick a size and tuning and look at the response.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2009, 12:34 
Project Author

Well neither of us has built anything with it yet. How about you build one style and I build the other and hope that out ears hear about the same so that we can compare notes?
I was going to build something massive and put it under the stairs. I suppose I could build sealed then try it with one driver. Then I could cut another hole and pop in the second driver as a passive then I could try the second wired out of phase or in phase and see what happens. :) Should keep me busy for a month or more.
I was thinking of a box about 2.5' in each dimension. I think I could get that out of one 4x8. On the other hand if I wanted to go with 3 4x8 I could go 4' in each direction for 64 cubic feet LOL :)

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 17:54 

Anyone made any progress? I have one of these drivers arriving later this week as well.
I'm trying for a roughly 3 cubic foot sealed enclosure. If that doesn't work, I'll stick with the same cabinet but pop in a round port and try it tuned to around 28 Hz. Not having any real wood-working or DIY audio experience, it could be a while before I have any results. I have a plate amp from a Klipsch Sub12 that I'm going to try.

As a side note, these drivers are for sale on Audio Mavin as well (www.mavin.com) - where the comment on enclosure size is "Great for a cabinet size in the 1.8 to 2.8 CF range, port tuned to about 25 Hz."

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 18:02 
Project Author

They were built for Best Buy's Insignia series I think. So yeah they will tell you its great in a little box because thats all anyone has seen it in. Try a box out PLEASE :) and tell us how it goes. To much going on for me right now but I really want to build one soon.
Ri

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 18:19 

Well, I'm limited by what I think my wife will allow in the living room - the size I chose (22" x 22" x 16") is similar (in two dimensions - 22" x 16" x 16") to the end table on the other side of the couch. That will give me 3.5 cubic feet (before bracing, driver and amp are subtracted) to play with, and with polyfill stuffed to the seams, I should get up closer to the 4.5 ft^3 recommended by WinISD for a sealed box.

This is supposed to be a budget project for me. The driver and the amplifier were both eBay purchases, and MDF is cheap. I just need to borrow my father in law's table saw and router.

A couple of quick questions -
what do folks recommend using to seal the box around the plate amp and the driver? the same silicone seal used to make the box airtight elsewhere?
is there a disadvantage, other than aesthetic, to using screws in addition to glue to build the enclosure?
does stuffing a ported enclosure with polyfill make the same kind of difference as with a sealed enclosure?

These are just my preliminary thoughts and questions. Anyone who can, please correct any misapprehensions I might have.

PostPosted: 12 Jan 2009, 22:42 

RiGuy wrote:
They were built for Best Buy's Insignia series I think. So yeah they will tell you its great in a little box because thats all anyone has seen it in. Try a box out PLEASE :) and tell us how it goes. To much going on for me right now but I really want to build one soon.
DZ,

Please keep us updated. I too have way to much going on. The soonest I could get to a sub is May so any news would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Alan

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2009, 08:06 
Project Author

dziring wrote:
A couple of quick questions -
what do folks recommend using to seal the box around the plate amp and the driver? the same silicone seal used to make the box airtight elsewhere?
is there a disadvantage, other than aesthetic, to using screws in addition to glue to build the enclosure?
does stuffing a ported enclosure with polyfill make the same kind of difference as with a sealed enclosure?

Around the plate amp I think caulking would be fine. That silicone stuff you are talking about.
I like the screws if you use black ones. There is no disadvantage except that if you are using cheap or old MDF it might fall apart when you use screws especially if the wood doesnt fit together perfectly and then you try to push it together with screws.
I like a birch veneered ply. I can use screws in that with no ill effects.
Use wood glue and if necessary hold it together with screws then silicone caulk all of the seams on the inside.
MDF wood particles in the air can give you cancer. Plain and simple its dangerous stuff to play with. Use a mask when using a saw on it please.
Yes stuffing with polyfil will make a difference. Just use your ears and listen with some, some more, stuffed to the gills, remove a little, ask your wife or any female to give it a listen. While they might not be impressed under any circumstances if they have the slightest positive comment it probably is an improvement. Their hearing is better than ours.
Ri