DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 03 Apr 2020, 22:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2008, 13:38 

Eosone 12 Inch Subwoofer

Designed for a 1.75 - 2.5 ft3 Vented cabinet tuned to 30HZ

Power handling 125W RMS / 250W Peak

* Impedance 4 ohms
* Power is 250 watts RMS (400 watts Peak)
* 2 inch voice coil
* SPL is 91db at 1 watt at one meter
* Freq. Response 20 Hz. to 1500 Hz.
* Part Number on the woofer is 1RD0001-2
* FS - 23.8926 Hz.
* Revc - 3.2038
* Zmax - 21.2296 ohms
* Qes - 0.5382
* Qms - 3.0342
* Qts - 0.4571
* Le - 2.0306 mH (at 1 kHz)
* Vas - 176.2302 L

Originally used in the Eosone RSP-912 powered subwoofer system

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 20:16 
Project Author

Alan,
I bought two of these. Daughter has turned one of them into a fantastic test speaker.
I tested them with the Dayton WT3.
See the attached pdf
Huge spike but I am sure a box would tame it down. This was in free air. You have most of the specs so just note that the specs that are filled in at the bottom of the pdf are accurate. If there is a zero for anything just fit in your own data.
I dont know if it will sound great or not, but for 25 dollars man thats cheap. Plus the box you make for it will probably fit many other drivers and the speaker is a pretty standard size. So if it was terrible you could get another driver.
Ri

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 20:34 
Editor

Hi Ri, thanks for sharing the measured Thiele / Small parameters for the Eosone subwoofer. It is good to see that your measured results match very closely with those posted by ApexJr.
Cheers

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 21:39 

Uriah,

Thanks for the data, it was very nice of you.

Gio and Uriah,

I am still at a loss with this stuff. Apex Jr says vent box, WinISD and WinISD Pro say closed box. WinISD, when forced to calculate vented enclosure, indicates that the box volume has to be 9.5 ft^3 while Apex Jr says 1.75 to 2.5 ft^3. Even if I set WinISD to use sealed enclosure the size is still large at 4.5 ft^3. What gives? I can't get the hang of either of these applications.

Alan

PostPosted: 30 Dec 2008, 21:54 
Project Author

Alan, I will try to find the program I used. Not that its any better than WINISD but it gave me some nice boxes anyway and let me see why I might want larger vs smaller. Basically it was all in the low frequency decibels. More decibels meant a bigger box. I ended up thinking that a 8-9cubic foot box would be the best. I think thats crazy. But the nice thing is that if you have room for it ( I was going to put mine under the stairs) then why not. A 8cubic foot box is an easy build if you have Lowes cut it up for you. 9 cubic feet. 3x3x1... really not that big and 2x2x2 for an 8 is nothing the wife can really complain about.
I will check, but I have to get to bed. Will get back with you tomorrow.
Ri

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 09:48 
Project Author

I emailed you the file Alan. Cant post it here for file type and size restrictions.
Uriah

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2008, 20:59 

Uriah,

I received the file thank you. Been busy shoveling, getting ready for New Years (I am in charge of cooking tomorrow), and correcting my 6T9 build. Hopefully, I can look at it tonight or tomorrow.

Happy New Year,

Alan

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 12:23 

Uriah,

Loaded the Eosone 12 info into the spreadsheet and it still does strange stuff. So, I think I am done wasting my time with this research.

I recently read an old review of my current speakers. That review included some data that had a sub attached to the system. I have also been reading in the BOTTLEHEAD.COM forums regarding speaker recommendations for the S.E.X. Amps. In addition to classic horns they love full range drivers. They even have a build of a S.E.X.y Speaker that matches sub woofers with small full range monitors.

Been reading all the DIY sub projects here. Plus Pi Speakers, as well as ejfud posting all over the web. Cheap would be great. Time is tight right now with school. Additionally, I am trying to get a 50EH5 built for my son Gabriel's 17th Birthday which is February 10.

Alan

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 12:50 
Editor

Hi Alan,
Thanks for sharing the Bottlehead.com S.E.X.y Speaker. The FE167E seems like it would be a better choice over the FE166E. With the FE167E you should be able to XO around ~90Hz and then you may only need one sub. I have used the PE cabinets and they are great. I didn't think that the FE16xE would fit in them, so that is good to know.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2009, 20:57 
Project Author

booangler wrote:
Loaded the Eosone 12 info into the spreadsheet and it still does strange stuff. So, I think I am done wasting my time with this research.

Well, you could just build a 8cubic foot box and pop it in. I think you could do that with one piece of plywood.
Uriah