DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 18 Jul 2018, 07:23

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
PostPosted: 12 Jun 2008, 21:51 
Project Author

Project Update: More information available on the DIY Jordan JX92S Tower Loudspeaker Project page.

Once these are done, I'll post more details on the build. But for now here are some pictures of the process.

Thanks to Gio for all his help in this build. Here is the sim of the cabinet.

Gary

Jordan JX92S DIY Tower Speakers

PostPosted: 12 Jun 2008, 22:24 
Editor

Gary,

You are welcome. I hope they sound good. :)

Your woodworking are fantastic! Great work.

The drivers are Jordan JX92S drivers and we used recently measured parameters for the simulation.

I need to get off my butt and finish up mine. Right now mine are in a sealed box, but I also plan to try aperiodic and BR. This is a very impressive driver, but not cheap, about $180 each.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2008, 21:21 

Wow. If you had had not shown the in progress building pictures, I would have had a hard time believing you made those tower loudspeakers. You are a very good wood worker.

How do they sound?

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2008, 21:26 
Project Author

1timer wrote:
Wow. If you had had not shown the in progress building pictures, I would have had a hard time believing you made those tower loudspeakers. You are a very good wood worker.

How do they sound?

Thanks for the kind words. I have fun with the woodworking. Sometimes things work better than others.

Playing and sounding excellent in my basement shop. Things can only get better in a proper room with proper placement.I think we have a winner here Gio!

Hauling them to a local audio get together tomorrow to have some different ears listen and see what they think. I'll post more tomorrow. I'm loving what I'm hearing so far.

Gary

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2008, 22:10 
Editor

Hi Gary,

That is great. I can wait to hear what the consensus is. Let me know next time you guys are having an audio get together. I'm only about 8 hours north and left from you. But with the current fuel prices, I guess that is close to $300 round trip. Take some pictures of the get together.

Cheers

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2008, 22:19 
Project Author

Just back from the audio event and the Jordan's were the hit of the party. Everyone was amazed by what that driver can do in these cabinets. My ears thought they blew away a pair of Heathkit/Altec Valencia style speakers that were in the same room.

They seem to be a bit on the power hungry side, but sounded amazing with a pair of Mc30 mono blocks. We even ran them with a big JBL 15" subwoofer and the sound was rich and full.

I guess the big tipoff on these speakers was that there were many speakers there to listen to, but these stayed in the system for a long time and people kept coming back to them.

Thanks again Gio for the inspiration for this project.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 08:31 
Editor

Gary,

That is awesome! I am glad they went over so well. Did you have a BSC hooked up?

Yeah, these are only 85dB and seem to sound best when you get that cone moving.

Cheers

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 14:43 
Project Author

No BSC and they sounded great.

Here's a picture of them playing with the McIntosh MC30's a super modified Bottlehead Foreplay and Cambridge CD player. Tis setup was great. They also sounded very good with a Yaqin integrated (don't know much about it) and a gainclone.

PostPosted: 15 Jun 2008, 22:42 
Editor

Wow, that's some nice gear on the floor. Did you have an amp preference with these?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2008, 06:45 
Project Author

gmilitano wrote:
Wow, that's some nice gear on the floor. Did you have an amp preference with these?

The Mc's were very nice and the 30 watts sounded about right, but the gainclone and Yaqin both sounded darn good too. It was hard to tell as at some times there were many systems in other rooms getting play at the same time.

We really had them thumping with the gainclone and it was very impressive the SPL they were throwing. These can handle most any type of music with ease.

Gary

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next