DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 17 Feb 2020, 01:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 16:37 

Righty, well, I have managed to source a pair of Jordan JX92S drivers thanks to a rather nice Christmas bonus. Now what to do with them? I'm a bit of a fan of RTL designs thanks to the extended bass response. Can anyone give any recommendations for a cabinet build?

Kind regards, John.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 16:55 

Hi John,
had the same Q myself when i got mine.
If you look on the jordan web site, they have a few Diy projects on there, some they have tested themselves others that have been submitted by third parties.
I'm using a design based on a Jim Griffin Reflex design. Although i haven't attacked it yet.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2008, 21:06 
Editor

Hi John,
I think the JX92S is pretty darn good. Too bad the price keeps it out of a lot of people hands. In that size, I think it is the only driver that comes close to being called "fullrange" driver. ;)

There are a lot of options - here are from small to big:

FWIW, this is where I am with mine: Sealed Jordan JX92S Bookshelf Speaker.
I was going to put an aperiodic vent in them, but ran out of time before winter arrived.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2008, 00:25 
Project Author

gmilitano wrote:

These are mine and I love the sounds they make. Have yet to sit in the room listening and said to myself I wish these would do.......yep, they are that good to these ears.

Jordan JX92S DIY Tower Speakers

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 09:55 

I love the look of the bass reflex design, I have a feeling I may go for something not too far removed from this. As my listening area isn't very big, I feel an RTL design may give me too much bass and I'll end up with wallowy boomy bass. I like a strong and punchy bass response, but too much bass is for me, worse than not enough.

The finish I'd be aiming for will be very different though, I'll go for an MDF cabinet but with a real wood veneer with something rather light (my fiancee likes lighter woods) and as they'll be in the living room WAF is important. Maybe, I'll see if I can get a piano finish. The finish that Quad achieve on their L range appeals to me.

Kind regards, John.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2008, 13:29 
Editor

A tower like that in MDF will be pretty heavy. What is a 4x8 sheet of mdf and good ply worth in the UK?

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2008, 03:43 

I'll have to double check on the price, I'm not sure what the prices are. To be honest, weight is not a concern, once they're situated, they'll be staying put.

Kind regards, John.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 01:28 

I think there are more Jordan users here than just about anywhere else...even the larger forums.

Mine have never left me wanting.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 06:24 

I had never heard of them until I joined this forum. I have heard of Fostex, but then, they have their fingers in many pies, speaking of pies, I'll be eating a few of those over the coming weeks.

I'll not be looking to build my Jordan's for a while as my fiancee's broken her knee so my priorities have changed slightly, any updates will be after Christmas probably.

Merry Christmas all!

Kind rgeards, John.

PostPosted: 21 Dec 2008, 10:36 
Editor

Hi John, take care of your fiance and Merry Christmas to you too. Have you decided what enclosure you will be using?

Hi Bill, it is a great driver. While not cheap, the JX92S is not picky about amplification so you can save some money on that end.

Cheers