DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 19 Apr 2021, 11:22

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2010, 21:11 

I've been contemplating a FR speaker project for a long time. After reading Bob Brines evaluation of the the Tang Band W8-1772 I decided they would be excellent candidates for my project. The 25% off sale on the TB W8-1772 convinced to make a move now.

Since my listening room is also my Family Room the WAF has a huge influence on the physical appearance of my speakers. My goal is to create a conservative appearing BR speaker of 1.5 cu ft with a 3"x4" port as suggested by Bob Brines.

I will need to listen to the speakers inside my enclosures with my own ears before I decide to incorporate a notch filter to attenuate the HF.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 20:09 

The speaker boxes are coming together! All I had on hand were Aspen boards, not an ideal material. But I can make it work. Aspen cannot be stained due to porousness of the wood. This is a soft wood. Either an oil finish or some other alternative will have to be used. The boxes will most certainly have to be braced.
Attachment:
cabs.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 01 Dec 2010, 20:18 

This is the Tang Band W8-1772, a beautifully made quality speaker. It's quite heavy! I was lucky to have caught a sale at Parts Express with free shipping.
Attachment:
tb.jpg

This post has a file attachment. Please login or register to access it. Only Registered Members may view attached files.

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 13:20 
Editor

Good start. I've been curious about this driver too so I'll be waiting for your reports. Do you have a link to Bob's enclosure recommendations?

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2010, 15:36 

I found a post where Bob recommended a BR 40L enclosure with a 3" x 4" port. Do you have anything more in depth?

Regards

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2010, 01:35 
Editor

No, just what is in Bob's thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-ran ... ost1909910

Cheers

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 16:42 

Well, I have the W8-1772 installed in boxes! There's just two screws holding each speaker for the time being. Recesses were routed so the speaker flanges which are flush with the front baffle. The 40 Liter boxes are made from Aspen and finished in natural clear shellac. I think it worked out well.

I still don't have the 3" port tubes. They are on the way from PE.

So how do they sound (without the port tubes)? The tests were conducted in my basement on my work bench. I used an iPod connected to a Panasonic Digital Receiver for the tests..

I ran test tones from Bass Mekanix. Right out of the box with no port tubes response was down to 50 hz. After just 20 minutes of break-in they were responding down to 45hz!

I listened to Flora Purim/Stories To Tell, Tomasz Stanko/Lantano and Bass Mekanix test tones.

Imaging is so good it’s eerie. The sound stage is suspended in thin air between the speakers.

The treble is strong and needs some attenuation. There is a touch of sibilance in female voices.

I will wait until I install the port tubes before I fine tune the response. I am extremely impressed with the performance and build quality. I had no idea that a single driver could be so clean and have such full range response. These speakers are not cheap. I waited for a Parts Express sale on them before purchasing. This is my first full range build; but I have no reservations. I HIGHLY recommend the Tang Band W8-1772.
Attachment:
W8-1772 view.jpg

Soon I will be looking for SET tube amp!

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 21:13 

Very nice!! They definitely need some Baffle Step compensation. If you have some extra parts lying around, try a 1.5mH choke in parallel with a 4.7 Ohm resistor. Then connected in series with the speaker.

Some of my diy audio projects:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 22:58 

Good to hear you're pleased with them. I'd say the boxes turned out pretty nicely as well :)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2010, 11:07 

dtsup1 wrote:
Very nice!! They definitely need some Baffle Step compensation. If you have some extra parts lying around, try a 1.5mH choke in parallel with a 4.7 Ohm resistor. Then connected in series with the speaker.

Can you sketch a schematic to be sure I understand your design?