DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 21 Aug 2019, 05:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 19:26 

know ok i realize i'm going to get alot of audio purist bitching about how these bose systems don't deliver a high fidelity sound and so on.
know i realize that but in my experience they also deliver the most ambient sound any personal sound system could eve deliver.
and come on if you're watching a movie do you want to be able to hear every nuance in every sound or do you wont mind blowing explosions and sound that sucks you into the movie?

so i was wondering anybody know how to put one something together that sounds something like that? as i'm quite reluctant to sell one of my kidneys for an audio system.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2008, 20:34 
Editor

Hi 1nf1n1ty,
Did you want Bose sounding or Bose sized? ;) Give us an idea, were you thinking something that is bookshelf sized or those tiny cubes?

Cheers

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 07:17 

gmilitano wrote:
Did you want Bose sounding or Bose sized? ;) Give us an idea, were you thinking something that is bookshelf sized or those tiny cubes?

hey gmilitano,

well i'm not that concerned with size(although i don't have a really big room to put them in) its all about the extra ambiance, these speakers seem to produce.
i got a change to listen to the 3 2 1 speaker set at a store, now i've never heard a sound so.. well full of impact is the best way to describe it.
i've done some research, it seems everywhere it is claimed that this sound is achieved by using "reflective sound". i have no idea what they mean by that(reflecting of the walls or of something inside the speaker? or maybe the sound is processed to sound reflected?)

thanks for the reply

PostPosted: 02 Dec 2008, 13:48 
Editor

You are welcome. I'm not familiar with the 3 2 1 so I can't really comment on them directly.

In general, the main criticism of the small Bose speakers is that the drivers are usually poor quality, there is a gap in frequency between the speakers and sub and that the crossover point between the two is high. The high crossover point typically means that you can hear the location of the subwoofer.

This article does a great job in describing the small Bose cubes: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html

You should be able to build a very simple speaker system that should outperform bose speakers at a fraction of the cost.

Here are a couple of speaker ideas:
http://zaphaudio.com/audio-speaker18.html
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Fo ... ss-Reflex/
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Speakers/Fo ... ss-Reflex/

You could also consider a sealed enclosure for the Fostex drivers. Tang Band drivers are also an option. Add a subwoofer and you should have a much better system that the bose.

Cheers

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 21:04 

This caught my attention. I am not a Bose fan, however, I did have a friend who bought the large Bose speaker/CD one piece unit (not the small one advertised often on tv). This one cost him about $1,000 (it's $1200 I think now). He used it at the checkout area of his bookstore. It sounded very nice. Classical music could be heard throughout the store. Anyway, I've been talking to somone else about a different DIY project he built and I was curious about the internal sound channel of this Bose. I've seen drawings of it in their ads. Is it possible to produce a similiar DIY speaker using, say, pvc tubing, or I suppose one could model a snaking tube out of clay or something and cover it with plaster or paper mache which could later be shellaced rigid, whatever. I haven't give much thought to the technical challenges. It just popped into mind whe I saw this post. Thanks.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 23:04 
Project Author

Maybe I am telling you something you already know. I dont mean to be presumptuous. A lot of speakers have complex "tubes" in them. Its not Bose specific.
http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Ariel-6c.gif
Its just an example that has been on my mind recently.
So, while it might be this network of tubes that makes that sound you hear with the Bose, dont think that it cant be achieved or hands down beaten by many other designs.
Ri