DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Matt presents bias and operation data for the 6V6 tube in SE operation - 6V6 Single-Ended (SE) Ultra Linear (UL) Bias Optimization.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Apr 2018, 09:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 11:16 

No clue as to the electronics but ok with power tools.

Goal: Home theater => Axiom products. i.e. M80's and ep500. QS8's seem a little too complex to build on my own so I may order those.

I might be able to find a little help in my city, :mrgreen: but I need to start somewhere.

Quote:
Specifications
Specs M80
Enclosure: Triple Vortex / Reflex
Max Amp Power: 400 Watts
Min Amp Power: 10 Watts
Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 34 - 22kHz Graph
Freq Resp +3dB- 9dB (Hz): 25 - 22kHz
Impedance (Ohms): 4 Ohms
SPL in Room1w/1m(db): 95 dB
SPL Anechoic 1w/1m(db): 91 dB
X-Over 160 Hz & 2.3 kHz
Tweeter: Dual 1"
Woofer: Dual 5.25"
Sub Woofer: Dual 6.5"
Dimens. H W D (inches): 39.5" x 9.25" x 17"
Dimens. H W D (mm): 1003 x 235 x 432
Weight (lbs) each 56.8 lbs
Weight (kg) each 25.764 kgs

All Axiom Tower Speakers feature:
Titanium Tweeters
Aluminum Woofers (and Midranges where applicable)
Anti-Standing-Wave cabinets that suppress internal resonances which color sound
Video-shielded for maximum placement options
Vortex-ported cabinets to reduce port noise
5-way gold-plated binding posts

So, lets go. What's first?

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 11:21 

Just a link

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 20:27 
Editor

Hi Bernie,
That looks challenging! What I suggest you do is go with a design that is available rather than try design something yourself.

Adam's Hi-Vi 3-Way Tower Speakers is one example. They have been built by a couple of others as well:
Fullsize image: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Gallery/dis ... p?pos=-196

Fullsize image: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Gallery/dis ... p?pos=-300

Zaph's designs also look good, here is one example: http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZDT3.5.html

Of course there are tons more out there.

PostPosted: 29 Nov 2008, 21:38 

So what are the considerations in building those.

Who makes the better drivers, Jordan? Cabinet size calculation is based on the specs of the chosen drivers, correct?

At the moment the Titanic 15" is the sub I'm leaning towards.

Ported or non ported?

Maybe some links to "speaker building for dummies"

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 08:24 
Project Author

Bernie,
Lets start with constraints and rules.
Constraints are your budget and knowledge. So whats your budget?
That will help us keep on the right track. When the sky is the limit there are just to many options and no perfect solution.
Rules would be, lets assume you want to build a proven design. So if we go off in a good direction lets follow something that someone has already build and follow it to the "T". No improvising since you will probably end up with a speaker that just doesnt satisfy if we change up drivers but stick with a certain cab. If you want you can design your own box around a speaker but for your first foray I am suggesting to follow Gios advice and pick a project someone else has already done and copy it exactly. So the rule should be build a proven design exactly.
This will help us help you the most. There are lots of designs out there and lots of great ones. Given a budget, an idea of your listening area, what you normally listen to, and your woodworking skill and I think this forum can help you alot.
Ri

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 08:34 
Project Author

Want really great HiFi?
http://www.nutshellhifi.com/Arieltxt1.html
A lot to read and this will give you some of the knowledge you were looking for in "Speaker building for Dummies".
I am reading one of those dummy books and wow is speaker building a science. Thank God for other people doing the designs and making programs that will do most of it for us.
Ri

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 15:21 

Ok,
Where to start? Adams speakers are a start, but will (should) they sound better than the m80s? I am beginning to think that different drivers do not neccessarily improve the sound. ie using Adams cabinet with jordans instead of fostex or higher quality XOs.

Post subject: Pi Speakers
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 17:14 

You could also get a kit with plans for the cabnets like here http://www.pispeakers.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/3
I have been to the owners house and herd the 4pi speakers with a set audionote amp and they are very nice.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 18:21 
Project Author

Bernie,
It will make a small difference with some speakers and a HUGE difference with others. In most cases it will be a huge difference and the only way to know if it will make a tiny difference is to compare the specs. This difference is not based on quality but on the specs of the speaker. Yes, absolutely, it makes a difference. People normally build boxes around speakers, not the other way around.. simply because the speaker matters so much.
Ri

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 19:51 

Guys, thanks so much for your help so far.

Let's say a thousand for electronics, for two main speakers with an eventual complementary center channel at additional cost.