DIY Audio Projects Forum
 NEW  Bruce Heran outlines the details and construction of his simple DIY 6DJ8 (ECC88) Tube Hi-Fi Headphone Amplifier Project.

DIY Audio Projects Forum

Welcome to the DIY Audio Projects Message Forum. Use these forums to discuss Hi-Fi audio and to share your DIY Audio Projects. Registration is free and required to post messages and view the file attachments. Registration will only take a minute and registered users do not see any advertisements. After you have completed the online registration process, check your email (including spam/junk folder) for the verification email to activate your account. New members are under moderation - so your posts will not be visible until approved by a moderator. See the Read Me 1st, Forum RULES and Forum FAQ to get started on the forum.

It is currently 20 Apr 2014, 13:33

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008, 10:57 

I acquired a pair of NOS 40-1286C 8" for close to nothing, which may be what they're worth, LOL. In spite of that, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to "practice", so to speak, by doing my first full range build, with a goal of doing something of a bit more quality later. I've seen that they are most suited to an open baffle, which is fine by me. Wondering if anyone can give me some idea of what size panels should be used, and maybe some tips about placement experimentation. I would be using a tweeter to help the upper reaches. Also, I understand these can be used successfully in a horn loaded enclosure, but it would have to be huge, yes? My room is 12' x 24', so I have some space. Any specifics would be great.

Driver specs that I have are:
Radio Shack 40-1286C Full Range Drivers wrote:
Fs 53Hz
Vas 1.73
Qts 1.16
Qes 1.43
Qms 6.06

Thanks, Greg

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008, 17:13 
Editor

Hi Greg,

Since those drivers have a high Qts (just above 1) they will be well suited for use in an open baffle. They will also work in a sealed enclosure or an aperiodic enclosure, but the box will have to be very large.

Here are a couple of open baffles that may give you some ideas:
Fullsize image: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Gallery/dis ... php?pos=-5

Fullsize image: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Gallery/dis ... hp?pos=-50

Fullsize image: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Gallery/dis ... p?pos=-137

Cheers

PostPosted: 27 Nov 2008, 20:55 

Thanks Gio! Just what I'm looking for.

Regards, Greg

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 10:12 

If I were to opt for a sealed enclosure, how much volume are we talking about? And how critical is placement for an open baffle?

Thanks, Greg

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 12:50 
Editor

Hi Greg,

An open baffle speaker setup will need to be away from the wall. That distance will be primarily a function of the room.

To get an idea of size for a sealed enclosure, you can do a very quick check with ISD online:
http://www.linearteam.dk/default.aspx?pageid=newdriver
Likely 2 cu ft. or so and that will be a bit warm in the midbass region.

If you want to go with a box, you could try fashion something after the Omega B200, but that driver has a reported Qts of 0.75 so this radio shack driver may be a stretch in a reasonable sized enclosure even with aperiodic loading.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 21:07 

Hi Gio, Thanks for the link. From all indications I probably will stick with an open baffle. It seems the drivers I bought are very limited, but I will use them as I intended to when I bought them...for practice and experimentation. If I can get a satisfactory midrange from these I will pursue taking it to the next level by adding a tweeter and subwoofer. My goal is to build something of higher quality eventually, as mentioned before, so I wouldn't want to get too carried away spending a huge amount on these. Another reason to stick with the open baffle.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2008, 21:27 
Editor

That is the approach I would take. Of course you can always upgrade the 8" unit later and keep the LF driver and tweeter. I have the Radio Shack 40-1271 which seems similar and I think you will find that these need more support down low than they do up top.

Cheers

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 19:08 

Well, a new development has come to light. While doing a little searching for info about these 40-1286C drivers, I found an entirely different set of parameters than I found earlier. Copied directly from a thread on http://www.gainclone.com

Quote:
40-1286C specs on 8" full range woofer by Radio Shack
Fs 39 Hz
Vas 2.0 cu. ft.
Qts 0.45
Qes 0.56
Qms 2.4
Re 6.25 Ohms
Le 0.6 mH
BL 6.9 T/m
Eff (SPL) 89.8 dB 1W/1m

Drastically different than the other parameters.

PostPosted: 03 Dec 2008, 22:08 
Editor

Hi Bluesman,
Can you post a photo that shows the magnet. A small magnet generally means a higher Q. Anytime I have seen a spec for this driver, it is Qts > 1.

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2008, 04:49 

Thanks Gio! One of the few specs actually listed on the box is the magnet size, which is 9.8 oz., or 277g.

I can post a picture later if needed. Got to get to work for now.

Cheers, Greg